No announcement yet.

How bumblebee friendly are you?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3244 in a small garden. Hopefully more next year!
    My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
    Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Small garden 70 sq m inc hard paving but it's rammed full of plants my dad planted for bees and insects as well as veg.
      I don't know what half the flowering plants are yet, so score probably higher.
      There are plenty European honeybees and eusocial bumble bees around though and habitats for solitary mason, plasterer miner bees and solitary wasps.
      Doing OK for hedgehogs too and unfortunately midgies.
      No eusocial wasps, in this garden, thankfully but there are two nests in another garden I look after, three until last Monday.

Comment

I'm going on a Bumblebee Volunteer Training Day in September - I don't think I have to train to be a bumblebee though

Comment

As a complate aside, one thing i didn't know and now do, is that bumblebees absolutely love love love flowering catmint.

I had a small bush last year that turned into a huge one this year [step away VC], and it's always got tem to twenty bublebees zipping in and out of it.

Comment

Yes, I've found that too taff, the nepeta I sowed last year has grown very tall and is full of bumble bees, and they do zip about, don't they? I've been trying to photograph them, ( for the bumblebee survey BeeWatch - Login ) but all I get mostly is a blur or an empty flower.

Attached Files
            Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
            Endless wonder.

Comment

2604 for a medium sized garden. The quiz gave me a good few ideas for new plants for next year, I've always wanted a Lilac...now I just need to work out where to put one!?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X