Is this a honey Bee?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a honey Bee?

I think I might have just spotted a Honey Bee in our garden on our potted Lavender. Can anyone confirm these pictures for me?

Honey Bee?

Bumble Bee, but what kind of Bumble Bee is this?

Is this a Hoverfly?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Asherz; 05-07-2013, 03:09 PM.

1. Probably

2. No idea - try this chart Common bumblebees | Bumblebee Conservation Trust

3. Yes

Comment

Thanks. I think I will have to take a few more photos to work out what kind of Bumble Bee that might be lol. Was quite surprised and happy at how much attention a few potted Herbs can get.

Comment

Nice shot of the hoverfly.
        Le Sarramea https://jgsgardening.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thats a honey bee, here in the USA, there getting scarce, something is killing them , alot of research with no exact answers, possibly new insecticides. I was surprised how important they are to the eco system for pollinating plants,

Comment

^ lots of different reasons why species decline. Loss of habitat is a big one, pesticides is another. Not just bees are in sharp decline, our butterflies have almost disappeared. I think I've seen two, all year. We view their food plants as weeds, and eradicate them. No weeds, no caterpillars, no butterflies.

Every species on the planet has a job to do, and is part of a complex web. If we take out one species (a pest insect, say) that will have an effect on lots of other species, including the ones who feed on it, and the ones who compete with it for food.

If we eradicate Pest A that's eating our sweetcorn, then Pests B and C are going to have a whole lot more food, their numbers will sky-rocket, and then we'll "need" to develop a pesticide to eradicate Pest B and C, whereas if we increase the numbers of natural predators (birds, other insects) then the pest population is controlled naturally.

It's difficult, with the way that we produce food now (massive farms set up to accommodate machinery). It's not possible for farmers on such huge acreage to have a more personal, hands on approach to farming: they can't hand weed, they can't pick off pests by hand.

Chemical companies offer a chemical solution ~ they wouldn't think to, say, increase the local bird population to feed on the pests, or put nets on cabbages, because that's not what they do, but as small 'farmers' we can take that more natural approach, we can 'farm' in a more sensitive way.

My little allotment garden is buzzing with bees & wildflowers, I don't DO anything to attract them, they just come because I don't attempt to eradicate any species, not even slugs which I loathe. I just keep pests under control by netting and handpicking them off. No sprays.

As more and more humans move to cities, we need to transform those cities with pocket planting of diverse species, and food for ourselves. Planting veg in cities and towns massively reduces air miles, improves food security and can increase biodiversity.

We can have beds and containers of wildflowers in our towns instead of sterile patches of begonias or primulas.

(however if we have bees in our town centres, there's sure to be a public safety outcry, and panic about children getting stung).
            Last edited by Two_Sheds; 06-07-2013, 07:00 AM.
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Asherz View Post
              IBumble Bee, but what kind of Bumble Bee is this?
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]37661[/ATTACH]
              Yellow stripes and brown bum - probably an Early BB. Social colonies of 100 or so. Forages from lots of plants especailly rasberries and brambles. "Fairly common".
              "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

1 If it's a honey bee it's almost certainly an Apis mellifera European honeybee but it could be a solitary bee.
                2 Possibly B. pratorum edit as poster above stated (I didn't know the common name).
                3 Don't know.
                Last edited by JustPotteringAbout; 28-07-2013, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X