Duck Weed

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duck Weed

I asked my husband to do something about the duck weed on my ponds, two of them are just smothered in it but as i'm incapable of killing anything if I pull any off I then have to spend ages and ages rescuing everything and end up making no difference because i've spent too long saving the pondlife.

So this was his solution, to sweep it all to one end and use a long stick to keep it there.

Seems like a resonably good idea so thought I'd post just in case it might help someone else. It was raining when I took this picture!

[IMG][/IMG]
    The best things in life are not things.

..............or get a duck!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Verinda View Post
      I asked my husband to do something about the duck weed on my ponds, two of them are just smothered in it but as i'm incapable of killing anything if I pull any off I then have to spend ages and ages rescuing everything and end up making no difference because i've spent too long saving the pondlife.
      Verinda you don't have to pick through the weed to rescue the creatures. Just scoop the weed out of the pond with a net and dump it at the side of the pond - the creatures will find their way back into the water.

Comment

Interpet/Blagdon 'Duckweed buster'.
        Please don't tap the glass

2013, first year of trying to grow food for the table, any advice certainly welcomed.

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
          Verinda you don't have to pick through the weed to rescue the creatures. Just scoop the weed out of the pond with a net and dump it at the side of the pond - the creatures will find their way back into the water.
          Thats just what I used to do when we had our pond, then the next day I'd put the duck week onto the compost heap.
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

What a lovely looking pond!
            Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

Tis a lovely looking pond! Do you not have fish in it? I have to buy duckweed for our fish!
              Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

No fish only tadpoles! I know that's what I'm supposed to do, pile it up on the side of the pond and let the pondlife crawl back in, but its such tangly stuff and when it's in a heap I just can't imagine how the creatures can get out and then get back in the pond. I try and leave it there, then think I'll just pick out a few snails and put them back, next thing I'm in a proper pickle having to make sure everything gets back.

And thank you, it's a lovely pond, bit shady though, and it's full of stuff, my lilly has disappeared. I'm going to have to clear it out in the winter, how do you do that without upsetting the hibernating frogs? Perhaps I should do it before hibernation begins.

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]

This is my other duck weedy pond!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X