What is this?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this?

Well I'm hoping its peacock butterfly eggs because I know the caterpillers like nettles. But if thats what they are...who laid the eggs? An over wintering caterpiller maybe? Or have they been there all winter? There aren't any peacock butterflies around to lay them. I really should know these things!

[IMG][/IMG]
    The best things in life are not things.

That came out huge, maybe this one is clearer

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

There are other butterflies that lay their eggs on nettles Butterflies Take your pick!!

Comment

That's interesting VC, thank you. Ive only seen a few tortoise shell butterfies so far. I will keep watching and see what sort of caterpillers appear.

Comment

I associate Red Admirals with nettles here. Love to see them all, whatever they are

Comment

Some Moths lay on nettles too Moths

Comment

I have seen a lot of adult Peacock butterflies around last month, so the timing is good. I didn't think they hid away in nests like that, but I haven't seen their caterpillars in a long while.. Keep an eye on it and see if you can get a pic when one comes out...
              My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
              Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Yes, I'll keep watching. I remember seeing lots of peacock butterfly caterpillers on nettles here but haven't seen a large number of them like that for many years. I'll take a photo of whatever appears.

I wonder if it's moths. I believe moths are in trouble too so am happy with whatever they are, I have left a large nettle patch in the hopes of helping something!

Comment

When we had a big row of nettles on our site there were millions of caterpillars!

Comment

how strange! I don't think it will be a butterfly egg, they are usually spherical, and laid on the underside for protection from predators, as are moths eggs. I wonder what else lays eggs on nettles? Definitely an egg is it?
                    Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                    Endless wonder.

Comment

Yes lots of tiny black eggs, they're inside the leaf and it's been sort of wrapped around the eggs and held together by what looks like strings of spiders web. I havent been to look at it today but will post a photo of whatever hatches.

Comment

Originally posted by Verinda View Post
                        who laid the eggs? An over wintering caterpiller maybe?
                        Erm no ... caterpillars don't lay eggs
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Hmm, yes, a bit dim witted of me!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X