Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow worm habitat

Hi All

I have loads of slow worms on my plot. They all seem to congregate under the tarpaulin I have put down to keep the weeds down until I have managed to dig that far. While this is fine for now (as I'm not that far down the plot to have to lift the tarp yet) I will eventually want to turn that ground over to plant things. What can I provide in terms of habitat in other areas of the plot to keep the slow worms happy? I am not averse to having a "wildlife" area as there is a bit under some trees where I am unlikely to cultivate and so encouraging them there would probably be safest for all concerned... Anyway any suggestions gratefully received!
    If it ain't broke...fix it til it is!

At our allotment I've seen them basking on paving slabs when it's sunny and under one when I lifted it to read the water meter! Could you lay a paving slab on the soil?

Comment

My SIL had them in her field in Devon. They were tucked in between some long logs left to decay in her field.

We have them here too- under our black plastic! - we just roll it to one side until we need it again in the autumn and they nip under that for the winter. I presume they stay under it during the summer months.
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by w33blegurl View Post
        there is a bit under some trees
        "spending most of their time hidden under vegetation, stones, or in holes below ground... However, slow-worms do not like too much shade"

Slow-worm habitat, ecology, mitigation and fencing

"They often take refuge under corrugated metal sheeting, pieces of wood or stones that trap the heat of the sun. Slow worms will also very often be found in compost heaps where the rotting plants create warmth."

Slow worm | Wild About Gardens
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

a corrugated metal sheet placed somewhere it wont be disturbed would be good.
          '' We came in different ships, but we're all in the same boat ''

''I'm only responsible for what I say...not what you understand.''

Comment

Thanks all

The bit under the trees does still get a good amount of sunshine as the canopy of the trees is rather high and the whole plot is in direct sunshine for 90% of the day! This I will pop a couple of slabs down in that area and maybe some tarp so they have a sunbathing spot! I am really keen to not send them packing just because I want to grow stuff!! Plus I am hoping they may make a dent in the slug population!
            If it ain't broke...fix it til it is!

Comment

I have a colony of about 40 in my garden and they live in my compost dalek, which as a result, I haven't emptied for about five years (amazing where all the veg bits go) they hibernate there during winter and sit on top of the compost (with the lid on) in the summer.
              "We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses."-- Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X