Done my good deed for the morning :)

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Done my good deed for the morning :)

I just went to check on my pond and I noticed a small red bee frantically trying to get out of the water. The poor thing was on its back so I lifted it out, left it to dry out a bit and then it proceeded to fly off. I think it was a mason bee, very cute looking little thing.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by TulipJ; 06-05-2013, 09:04 AM.

Float a bit of wood in there or a sloping stone or twig that they can crawl onto to escape - or land on for a drink.

Comment

Well done you!

I rescued a small fat spider yesterday. My friend's son dropped it into my hot coffee, when I told him I wasn't scared of them. Tipped it out on the grass in the sun to dry off - poor little blighter. (Yes, I cuffed the little s*d round the ear, too!)
      All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
      Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

I remember doing the same thing to my mother when I was a youngster. She nearly had a fit bless her with her phobia.
        Thx for the wood tip, I will make sure there is a raft for any more unlucky insects that happen to fall in.

Comment

I spent the day rescuing bees from the end of my poly tunnel! It doesn't matter how much I flap or try to wave them into the direction of the large door opening, they insist on heading up into the top corner and buzz about all day! I have now got a piece of cardboard and a jug in the poly just for bee rescuing purposes
          You may say I'm a dreamer... But I'm not the only one...

I'm an official nutter - an official 'cropper' of a nutter! I am sooooo pleased to be a cropper! Hurrah!

Comment

Originally posted by ancee View Post
            I spent the day rescuing bees from the end of my poly tunnel! It doesn't matter how much I flap or try to wave them into the direction of the large door opening, they insist on heading up into the top corner and buzz about all day! I have now got a piece of cardboard and a jug in the poly just for bee rescuing purposes
            I have the same problem in our conservatory, but the roof is too high for me to reach them with glass and cardboard. I have invented a new bee rescue method, which is to hold a broom upside down (head up) near it, let the bee climb onto it, then wave it out of the door. Works a treat - many bee lives have been saved this way!
            Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes

Comment

I'm now googling poly tunnel. Excuse my ignorance but is it a greenhouse structure?
              Well done on your valiant efforts
              Last edited by TulipJ; 06-05-2013, 08:32 PM.

Comment

If I see anything struggling in my ponds I have to rescue them.

A few years ago my son found a tiny mouse struggling in the dogs bowl of water. He saved it and it ran up his sleeve and bit him! I took him for a tetnus as he hadn't had one and the doctor thought it was extremely funny!
                The best things in life are not things.

Comment

Bless him, I bet that was a shock to him and the mouse!

Comment

Yes it was ! The mouse was pretty happy though, it shot off at remarkable speed, despite being drenched!
                    The best things in life are not things.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X