Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Native Wildflowers - beneficial to vegetable plants and wildlife

Evening,

I was just wondering if any of you know of any native beneficial wild flower plants which make good vegetable companion plants and are beneficial to our native wildlife? Added bonus for any species which may be impressive to young children!

If you do I would be interested to know how each species is beneficial (attract pollinators/repel pests etc) to have in my vegetable garden so I can make a note of this when I plan my vegetable garden.

Thank you for your time and help,

Samuel

You'll find some information here Plants for pollinators / RHS Gardening with downloadable lists of suitable plants.

Comment

Don't restrict yourself to native plants.

Lots of imported ones are supremely good for our insects. My hoverflies LOVE Stargazer lily (Californian)
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Mallow, sweet pea, corn chamomile, fleabane, lavender, teasel and rosemary are very good for attracting insects. In fact any wildflower should be good, although you need to be careful as some such as teasel can be a pain i.e. invasive. I suggest you visit a nature reserve in late spring and summer, and you'll get a good idea of which plants attract insects.

Comment

Plant rosmary with your cabbages as it's supposed to repell cabbage fly, I'm going try that this year.
          Last edited by Verinda; 19-03-2013, 11:32 PM.
          The best things in life are not things.

Comment

Originally posted by Verinda View Post
            Plant rosmary with your cabbages as it's supposed to repell cabbage fly, I'm going try that this year.
            Never heard of that one Verinda.

Comment

I plant borage and phacelia - lots of flowers and bees love them. Also I heartily recommend papaver somniferum -opium poppies- . Great displays and a massive source of pollen.

A perennial poppy is also as good..
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Madasafish; 20-03-2013, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Allow some radishes to go to seed, the flowers are hugely popular with the wildlife, very pretty too.

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
                  Never heard of that one Verinda.
                  New to me too, but I'm willing to give it a go!

Comment

Originally posted by Verinda View Post
                    Plant rosmary with your cabbages as it's supposed to repell cabbage fly,
                    Can you provide a link please?

Comment

As Cabbage & Broccoli are the same family see under Broccoli here TS ....... Companion Planting - Vegetable Gardening Plant Companions and Combining
                      Last edited by bearded bloke; 20-03-2013, 02:51 PM.
                      He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

I wanted some scientific-type "evidence" that rosemary repels the cabbage root fly, really.

All I could find was hearsay aka old wives' tale:

"Rosemary and members of the onion family - garlic, shallots and chives - are useful in deterring the carrot fly" I've tried this repeatedly, and found onion family to be utterly useless against carrot root fly
                        EarthWood - Companion Planting Guide

Broad beans and the dwarf and climbing peas do not flourish next to onions" well I grow them all close to each other, and they do fine

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^I agree. Rosemary US. Onions v carrot fly only one winner and it isn't the onion.

Never had any issues with broad beans and peas but I never grow them in succession. That doesn't work for me.

Comment

Hmmm, perhaps I won't bother trying it then! I think horticultural fleece is the best thing for carrot fly. Did you know that carrot flies can smell carrots up to a mile away! Or so my mum used to say.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                              Broad beans and the dwarf and climbing peas do not flourish next to onions" well I grow them all close to each other, and they do fine
                              I read somewhere that beans and peas shouldn't be grown with chives, which is what I'm just about to do - you have put my mind at rest TS!
                              Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X