Bluebells

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bluebells

Today I spotted bluebells coming up in our little wood, is it too early for bluebells? It seems a bit early though I suppose it takes them a long time to flower. I also found frogspawn in my pond at the beginning of February. That is definitely early!

I have a Boys Own annual dated 1914 and it says frogspawn appears in May!! Oh dear, so things really have changed over the past hundred years or so.
    The best things in life are not things.

We usually have frogspawn during February half term. It's half term this week and it appeared on Monday so not early for me. May seems late.

Comment

May is about right for Bluebells but ours appear from April lasting through. I know this because we have Easter treasure hunts in the woods.
      Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

This is a good site to follow and compare your sighting with the rest of the country!
        First signs of spring hunt sheet (free download from 'nature detectives' run by the Woodland Trust)
        First hints of spring:- (I've highlighted the ones I noticed so far)
        hazel catkins
        snowdrops
        bluebell shoots
        elder buds bursting
        primroses

lesser celandine
        birds building nests
        bird song
        frogspawn
        Last edited by veggiechicken; 21-02-2013, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
          This is a good site to follow and compare your sighting with the rest of the country!
          First signs of spring hunt sheet (free download from 'nature detectives' run by the Woodland Trust)
          First hints of spring:- (I've highlighted the ones I noticed so far)
          hazel catkins
          snowdrops
          bluebell shoots
          elder buds bursting
          primroses

lesser celandine
          birds building nests
          bird song
          frogspawn
          That looks interesting. Will take a look.

Comment

Thank you all for your interesting replies. Thank you for the link veggiechicken, I'll definitely look it up. I haven't seen any primroses yet, but have seen celandine.

Its been unbelievably cold today with a bitter wind blowing. Not very springlike!

Comment

This is the adult version that I meant to post
              Nature's Calendar

Comment

Originally posted by Verinda View Post
                I also found frogspawn in my pond at the beginning of February.
                That's not uncommon, if we get a warm spell they go at it !

The spawn will die in the cold though, don't worry about saving it ... they'll do loads more later on
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                  This is the adult version that I meant to post
                  Nature's Calendar
                  I rather liked the kids one!

Comment

You can guess which one I like too

Comment

Last year they laid frogspawn early, then we had a lot of hard frosts and I was sure it would all die because it froze solid but much to my amazement it melted and the tadpoles hatched and were fine. I just love it when the teeny frogs appear.

I like the kids one too! I saw some primroses in bud today which really cheered me up.

Comment

not sure about the frogspawn im sure we used to find it around march/april time. But all my bluebells are up and a few have flowers always this wy end feb-start march then i can whip of all the leaf thats died back in may for my annuals to go in

Comment

Hi Linzy, yes thats when we used to find frogspawn too, never in February. I think it takes ages for the bluebells to finish growing and actually flower so hopefully they will flower at about the right time...when is that? About April or May I think?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X