Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let me know how it goes I may get one thanks x

Comment

The window frame on my shed is like a magnet for nesting bees; every spring I cautiously open the window for the first time since autumn, and sure enough the cavity is filled with nest material, tunnels and pupae. Always amazes me why they choose such a narrow space. I've tried making a bee nest with a flower pot half buried, with straw and a hose etc. but the bees never showed any interest in it. Guess they know what they need.

Comment

Originally posted by Madasafish View Post
        Be aware there is a bumble bee - the tree bumble bombus hypnorum - which loves bird boxes . BUT it has always 3-4 guard bees flying around on sentry duty and if disturbed can become quite aggressive and sting.
        We've got those in an old bird box, at first we thought the sentry bees were invaders bothering the bees in the box but after seeing this thread and reading up on the Bee trust site we've realised we've got Tree bumbles.

WE can't move the next because the box is screwed to the wall so we're just giving it a wide berth instead.
        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Interesting stuff Madasafish - I didn't know that. A bumble was bugging me on the plot, the other day, kept buzzing around my hair and wouldn't take the hint. When I moved away it left me alone. Same thing happened the next day in the same spot - made me wonder if there was a nest or something nearby and it was trying to get rid. No bird boxes there though.

Comment

Last year, there was a bumble bee nest in a bird box on a tree alongside the clothes line. They didn't seem to worry about me pegging out my washing, fortunately. The squirrels took the box over a couple of years ago and enlarged the entrance so its no use to birds now. I haven't noticed any bees there this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Madasafish View Post
              the tree bumble bombus hypnorum - which loves bird boxes ....can become quite aggressive and sting.
              Thanks for that, I just looked him up. They have a white tail, and "the bees have a rapid reaction and defensive behaviour when a nest suffers vibration"

http://bumblebeeconservation.org/ima...s_hypnorum.pdf

http://hymettus.org.uk/downloads/Inf..._infosheet.pdf

I'll continue giving my bee safe advice: stand still, don't flap, don't scream
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X