X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK Moth decline

BBC News - UK moth numbers suffer crash, 40-year study shows
    Found this bit particularly interesting from a gardener's perspective

The biggest loser, the V-moth, was once found in most English counties but now its presence is restricted to "very few areas", Mr Fox, surveys manager for Butterfly Conservation, added.

"It is also quite an interesting example because V-moth caterpillars feed on gooseberry and currant leaves and, although we do not know why the species has declined, we are drawn to speculate that the decline of the V-moth might be something to do with our gardening habits.

"It may be that far fewer people grow their own gooseberries and currants in their gardens. Alternatively or in conjunction with this, it may be that people - especially in their own gardens - may be using pesticides far more than in the past.

My gooseberry leaves are stripped by what I've believed to be Gooseberry Sawfly - caterpillars, could they be V Moths? Or are the 2 competing for the same food, with the sawfly winning?

Plenty up here - ask my jumpers!
    Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
    Working...
    X