Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bird or bat box?

Hi

I am thinking about encouraging wildlife at my local train station. I have a very tall wall in mind for a bird or bat box, not sure which type.
    It it surrounded by small trees, in a valley with trains running past and stopping every 15 mins or so. Super-market boxes ok?

FG

Sorry, I don't know what a supermarket box is, but bat and bird boxes have to be specific sizes, depending on species. They won't nest/roost in any old thing

How to make a bat box - Projects: Wildlife gardening - gardenersworld.com

How to make your own bird box - Projects: Wildlife gardening - gardenersworld.com
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Hi

Thanks for those links, I just thought the supermarket ones would be easier, but not made to last. Perhaps if I can make more than one, that might work out a lot cheaper.

Comment

When you say "Supermarket" do you mean places like Toscos?

Comment

Bat boxes have to be made from untreated wood as some of the treatments are toxic to them.
          Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

I made a woodpecker box exactly according to plans and specific dimensions. I also made a blue tit box ditto. The woodpecker went to the tit box repeatedly and tried to enlarge the hole. The tits made their nest inside the woodpecker box.
            In future, I shall just stick up boxes with various sized holes in them and wait for the best.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X