No announcement yet.

Any Ideas on what kind of bird this is?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Ideas on what kind of bird this is?

We have been watching this bird in our back garden for weeks now, but have no idea what it is.
    It come down at quiet times and take worms, or maybe slugs, then flies off into the trees. Today it went into the apple tree so i managed a short Video of it. Normally it goes before i can get my cam out.
    What sort of bird is this? - YouTube
    Any Suggestions.
    Roger
    Its Grand to be Daft...

https://www.youtube.com/user/beauchief1?feature=mhee

No idea really but the white head doesn't look right! I sometimes see jackdaws with white patches and wonder whether it could be something like that.

Comment

A White Headed Blackbird?
      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

You're probably right BM British Garden Birds - Blackbird

Comment

That's what I thought, too, Bigmallly. I have seen blackbirds with white patches on their heads before, but never so symmetrically but I think that is what it is.
          Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

I was thinking possibly female due to the lighter colouring.
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
            --------------------------------------------------------------------
            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
            -------------------------------------------------------------------
            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
            -----------------------------------------------------------
            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

OK, its a lady blackbird with lots of face powder and a blond wig.

Comment

Definitely a blackbird with an issue with pigment in its feathers. You occasionally see other birds with white patches but blackbirds are amongst the more common with this problem, but saying that, I've not seen one for years myself.
                Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

I knew you lot would not let me down. We were thinking on the same blackbird/trush lines, but were confused because it seems bigger than any blackbird or thrush we have seen in out local area.
                  Roger
                  Its Grand to be Daft...

Comment

Originally posted by arpoet View Post
                    I knew you lot would not let me down. We were thinking on the same blackbird/trush lines, but were confused because it seems bigger than any blackbird or thrush we have seen in out local area.
                    Roger
                    Without being an expert, it looks too big to me, too and seems to stand wrong, too upright? Any leg colour or details?
                    "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Originally posted by marchogaeth View Post
                      Without being an expert, it looks too big to me, too and seems to stand wrong, too upright? Any leg colour or details?
                      I have tried to slow down the vid and look at the legs. they seem brownish. I will try and get a better pic if it comes close again. The problem is taking a photo through the window distorts the image and once i open the door to go out is flies away damn quick.
                      Its Grand to be Daft...

Comment

Looks to me more as if its head is bald rather than white feathered, as if it's going through the late summer moult. Our resident dunnocks and some of the blackbirds go completely bald after the breeding season, and the blackies lose their tails as well, before regrowing plumage for the winter.

What is the little bird that flits from the tree? Against that, the other looks too big for a blackie. (And too grey) Could it be a mistle thrush?

Have you tried the RSPB bird identifier? It's very quick and easy to use.
                        Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                        Endless wonder.

Comment

I've almost watched your video frame by frame now! I've checked every picture of a blackbird I've got! The thing I don't like is the way the wings lie on its back, they just don't look smooth enough for a blackbird. Wouldn't like to comment on the bald idea, looks feathery to me but it could be a half moult although it looks a bit smooth. The beak doesn't look right for even a young rook but it's body language is very crow family!

This is really irritating isn't it? I hate saying it's not a blackbird without being able to have a better idea of what it might be! Almost tempted to ask where your nearest zoo is! Please keep us posted.

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

I'd like to know about beak colour and how it moves when its on the ground. Does it hop, or walk?
                            Roger says its takes worms, maybe slugs. Worms sounds more blackbird/thrush-ish than crowlike, maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                              Roger says its takes worms, maybe slugs. Worms sounds more blackbird/thrush-ish than crowlike, maybe?
                              Yep!..........

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X