Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aww, cute...! ?

Germaine Greer: Snails deserve our attention - Telegraph

I must confess, I cannot bring myself to hurl a snail to its death on tarmac...I find myself always forced to throw it a mere twenty yards away. Which being as it is within the same garden...
    There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Right, now we know what to do with our snails - parcel them up and send them to Veggiechicken for her wood!

Did you see the research someone (dunno who) did with snails painting nail varnish on their shells so he could recognise them and then taking them up to maybe a mile away? They turned up again eventually, so just throwing them (even into next door's garden!) does no good.
    If the river hasn't reached the top of your step, DON'T PANIC!

Comment

you beat me to it lol,
      sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Originally posted by Peas'n'Kews View Post
        Right, now we know what to do with our snails - parcel them up and send them to Veggiechicken for her wood!
        You're so kind PnK
        I can't hurl them either and the banded snails will never end up in salty water - they're too pretty for such an end

Comment

I hate snails, they have eaten all my crops so far this year.

Comment

They get squashed, I take no prisoners!

Comment

Squash, snipped, thrown, smashed with my fist, stamped on, rode over (fun when taking the bins out at night), hammered, poked with a sharp instrument, flipped, and even once headbutted.

Fear not, I'm doing my part to reduce their numbers in south wales

Comment

There's nothing more unpleasant than walking bare footed over a big slug. yuckety yuck yuck.

I'm considering giving up my allotment to the slugs and snails, as all my hard work seems to be merely just providing a free lunch for them year after year.

I'm in the early planning stages of turning my garden in to a potager, at least there I can keep a closer eye on them.
                I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                  You're so kind PnK
                  You are most welcome! I wonder if snails would eat their way out of a brown envelope before they got to you???

Comment

They eat their way into my letters when they're left in the outside postbox (an old oven) for a few days!
                    So you'd better keep them for yourself

Comment

Aw! I'm sure they would lurve your beautiful wood and do lots of good ......

<spoilsport!>

Comment

Save them for when you have a wood of your own! You could even start breeding them in readiness

Comment

Originally posted by Mikeywills View Post
                          There's nothing more unpleasant than walking bare footed over a big slug.
                          I think it's on a par with barefoot, in the middle of the night, in a pile of cold cat vomit and painfully standing on a piece of Lego under the arch of your foot.
                          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

It seems there are two schools of thought here then - those who love finding snails, and those who really love finding snails...?
                            And yet they are a vital part of the ecosystem. Macrophages - where would our compost heaps be without them ? We've all seen that black stringy stuff they defecate...guess what helps manufacture that lovely black loam we pride ourselves on "creating".
                            It occurred to me though the other day at the lottie, as I threw my thirty-fifth snail over to the same corner, they do have other uses. I mean, I only chucked them thirty feet or so, and they are going to have to walk home, right ? Yes...right through the ground elder patch...and they are going to eat all the way.
                            I call that win/win, don't you ? (Or is this my medication talking ? )
                            There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

Do snails eat ground elder? If so why not box them up and sell them as a nemasnail ground elder killer.
                              You could become exceedingly wealthy Sno............

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X