Cheap pond

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap pond

I'd like to build a small and cheap pond on the plot, ideally for frogs. Do you think something like this would be viable?
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/p...%3ESANDPIT.htm

(Size H107, W92, D21cm)

Thanks a lot
    Last edited by redser; 21-07-2012, 03:21 PM.

Or maybe a plastic baby bath??

Comment

How about this instead? Bermuda Sands Pre-Formed Pond Trouble with kids toys and plastic baths is that they are not usually UV stable, so will go brittle and crack/break after a couple of years.

Comment

Thanks for the link and the info. Was looking at butyl liners and doing it the right way but very pricey.
        Cheers

Comment

You may be able to find one cheaper. I just did a google search for pre-formed pond and that was the first one that came up.

Comment

Do you really need a butyl liner?

This seller does woven polyethylene liners with free underlay at a reasonable cost. 40 year guarantee seems good to me. I've just used one to do my pond and it seems fine.
            Last edited by mrbadexample; 23-07-2012, 02:55 PM.
            Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
            By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
            While better men than we go out and start their working lives
            At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Thanks for the link. I've actually decided to go with thick builders plastic. I have some scrap lengths of 2 foot wide UV resistant tunnel plastic, I could lay this over the builders plastic and weigh it down with plants in baskets to give UV protection. That should take care of that problem. Also have old kids rubber play matting that I'll use as an underlay. Think/hope it will work

Comment

Arrrhhhh - having second thoughts now. I havn't got the funds for a liner but I really want to make this pond, a certain size and shape. I have builders plastic and some UV resistant tunnel plastic. Would love to hear from anyone who has used thick cheap plastic and if it worked out for them. Even for a few years?
                Thanks a lot

Comment

So I just saw this is coming up soon in Aldi ...
                  ALDI - Thursday Special Buys 23rd August 2012

So what say you, yay or nay for a liner? I have some carpet and kids rubber matting to use as an underlay. I know all about butyl and firestone at this stage but maybe that's for some future time (no creche fees, mortgage blahdee blah).
                  Thanks

Comment

It should be okay if you have clay (and enough to form a pond floor from), then it would just be backup. But if your soil is free-draining, the inevitable holes would drain the pond too fast. If you let silt/detritus/mud (no idea what that's called in a pond) build up, that will also protect the liner, plus it's where frogs and newts live in the winter.

Comment

Keep in mind you generally need 2-3 deep to stop it freezing solid in winter. Also, if you are using a liner it needs to be UV resistant or it will degrade - might be worth looking in local garden centres/pet/fish shops, and seeing how much the actual stuff is - if it's just a small pond it shouldn't be too bad. Or, see if you can get a second hand preformed one via free ads or similar.

Comment

Thanks for the replies folks. I hope to make the bottom of the centre section 2 foot below the surface. Like a box I suppose, 1 foot deep with sides straight down, then above that box section will be sloping gently up to the pond edges. I've priced the more expensive stuff and it's coming in a 7-8 euro a square meter and i need about 10 square meters. So it will just have to wait. Happy to risk leaks while I learn about ponds/plants etc. Cheers

Comment

I picked up a preformed pond on Freecycle. Not huge but the frogs don't seem to mind!
                          In the other garden, no pond but plenty of frogs and toads, especially toads! I've put an old belfast sink under a downpipe from an outhouse - grow watercress in it - but something like that might be suitable - or an old tin bath?

Comment

Thanks VC. I've been scouring the free sites here for a good while but nothing's turned up I also happen to have a particular spot for it so a liner will suit me best as I can make it exactly the size to fit. Oh the things I could do if I had a bigger plot!!

Comment

we made a pond from a old bath..it worked really well

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X