My pond is leaking!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My pond is leaking!

Despite all the rain we've been having the water level in our wildlife pond is going down so I reckon there must be a leak!We've had the pond about 5 years,used a heavy duty liner and it looks really natural now.I'm loathe to empty it but will have to.My hubby says to fill it in but I love the pond and feel it really adds a lot to the garden.Has anyone ever emptied and refilled their pond?I think it must be roots from the pond plants that have gone through the liner as there are loads now than in the beginning.Any advice how to stop this happening again,should I use a different kind of liner,would a pre formed liner be better?Any advice greatly appreciated.

Mine is leaking a bit at the moment and I suspect roots too. Mine is steady at a certain level so when I have the time I intend to bucket out below this level (but not empty) and apply repair tape to any holes or weak points I can see before refilling. Worked well for a hole that OH made with a fork a few years ago so am hoping. I don't want to empty it as it will effect the great eco system that's formed.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

As Alison said, let it drain on it's own for a while until it stops draining, this will show you what level any hole may be, make sure you also check above this level as you may have more than one hole. Take out some more water to get below the leak. If it's a rubber liner sticky patches are available from most pond shops, follow the instructions carefully and you should be OK.

Any water you take out can be saved and re-used (large bucket or a barrel), trim the roots of plants while you're "in there" and top up with rain water when you have fixed the hole/s. I've found my pond stays a lot clearer if I just use rain water. Be careful not to chuck out the "weeds" as they are usually full of water creatures that are good for the pond, if you need to have a clear out leave any weed or plants on the edge of the pond for a few hours so the creepy crawlies can find there way back in.

Pre-formed liners are OK but difficult to get level and you must make sure you get sand behind ALL the curves and ledges and they can crack after a few years, stick with a rubber liner.

Comment

ahhhhh so thats where are the floods are starting......
        Its Grand to be Daft...

https://www.youtube.com/user/beauchief1?feature=mhee

Comment

Thanks for your replies and advice.I was thinking the leak(s) would probably be at the bottom so would have to empty the whole thing.I was going to keep all the plants,we have loads of oxygenating plants and water lilies.I can just imagine having loads of containers all over the grass to hold everything.Repairing it sounds better than having to take the whole thing out and replace it which would be an abseloute nightmare.Hopefully we'll get some dry weather and will soon be able to see the holes.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X