Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• utilising a small urban garden...

what is the best way??
    I have a very small, well fenced garden in quite a built up area that is having to incorporate my desire to grow fruit and veg, seating area and space for dogs to play! I would also love it to be as appealing for wildlife as possible.
    Any suggestions of how to pull off this miracle would be appreciated!

(Ive already put in a teeny pond that Im going to surround with rocks, ferns and ground ivy, also bought a bird feeder to put up).

I suspect a raised bed or two will be involved. Intensively used, the secret is to have something in the wings to fill an available space. Thus a small greenhouse would be very useful if you don't have a conservatory. a composting/worm system... to keep good fertility of soil. Try to think vertically as the sky's the limit!...Maybe irrigated hanging baskets for tumbling toms cukes etc. Fan train fruit or support anything to grow up the fencing. You need to observe how much sun each spot gets and not shading out other crops.

Have a look at 'Ornamental kitchen garden' by Geoff Hamilton. Good on biodivestity to attract wildlife...he kind of popped in his fruit and veg amongst the flowers.

Seating area?...you'll be too busy!...get folding chairs and table?

Take the dogs to the park to play.
    Last edited by Paulottie; 01-07-2012, 05:48 AM.

Comment

If you are very brave you could include your dogs in the gardening......

Altho gardening with some dogs is not always advisable

Ask me again in spring when Knic Nac gets the gardening bug again.
      Attached Files
      Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

If you are doing raised beds try to do them "untidily" - by that I mean have nooks and crannies for wildlife to occupy.

Then there is the wild patch, try for a log pile or insect house (easy to make your own).

Whatever you do, have fun!
        The cats' valet.

Comment

If possible try to include a selection of wildlife friendly plants....Wildlife Friendly Plant List
          Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
          Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
          https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
          Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

Originally posted by Paulottie View Post
            Have a look at 'Ornamental kitchen garden' by Geoff Hamilton. Good on biodivestity to attract wildlife...he kind of popped in his fruit and veg amongst the flowers.

Seating area?...you'll be too busy!...get folding chairs and table?
            I'll have to check that out! Ive already got a thin border down the side of the garden that contains raspberries, strawberries, chives, thyme, lavender, kale, sweet peas, cornflowers and various other wildflowers (they are a mystery til they grow up and flower!LOL)
            I keep casting my beady eye over the patio TBH...Its 10ft x 10ft (half the garden) and Im thinking, 'do I need paving slabs right up to the edges?'. It would be lovely to create a cosy little 'den' surrounded by climbing plants and thick ferns, also have a proper sunken pond! Very wildlife friendly too!

Dammit!! This gardening lark is very addictive isnt it??

Comment

That is not a massive space to express your obvious enthusiasm to garden. I don't know much about container gardening....but irrigation and feeding is really important. I am sure you can make a beautiful space. I like reclaimed stuff as planters. I sit looking out at a large walnut tree that was in a dustbin on my friends roof in Brick Lane for many years.

...hold on Kentishgal the mist is clearing in my crystal ball...you future is becoming clear...i can see...yes....a spell on the allotment list!

What about garden share?

I started by using the old couple next doors veg patch...gave them some of the harvest and Jack used to love to laugh and tell me where I was going wrong!

Comment

Originally posted by Paulottie View Post
                ...hold on Kentishgal the mist is clearing in my crystal ball...you future is becoming clear...i can see...yes....a spell on the allotment list!
                How did you know!!LOL Ive already put my name down!

Comment

KEntish I'm the same, tiny tiny space, but (with massive amount of work!) you really can grow an amazing variety of stuff. Not self-sufficiency, but pleasure and interest. Happy to describe what I've got if that's helpful?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X