Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Numerous mole deaths on allotment - whats to blame?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Numerous mole deaths on allotment - whats to blame?

Over the past 3 or so weeks I've discovered 3 dead moles on my allotment. I've found them all lying on the soil surface and all fairly recently dead. My lettuce bed has lots of signs of mole activity and the last two were found right next to this bed.

There isn't any sign of injury or attack (fox etc) to them and I don't dig so I haven't accidentally hit one with a fork or spade.

If anyone hasn't see a mole here's today's casualty.

I noticed my neighbouring allotmenteer had put down some slug pellets round his strawberry plants, about 10m away. I'm wondering whether the mole perhaps ate some pellets or dead slugs/snails and died from poisoning?

Any other ideas?
    My 2014 No Dig Allotment
    My 2013 No Dig Allotment
    My 2012 No Dig Allotment
    My 2011 No Dig Allotment

Maybe the run got flooded? My mother used to get rid of them by shoving the hosepipe into the run and leaving it running.

How on earth did it climb up there?

ETA- mother's most effective mole killer was her spaniel, Tess She would leave them on the surface too.
    Last edited by Jeanied; 12-06-2012, 08:49 PM.
    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

I picked him up to check for injuries and placed him on the post to photograph. He was about 1 foot from the hole when I found him.

We've had some rain but the soil is so sandy it doesn't puddle at all.
      My 2014 No Dig Allotment
      My 2013 No Dig Allotment
      My 2012 No Dig Allotment
      My 2011 No Dig Allotment

Comment

A local vet might do a basic PM if you ask nicely - or maybe via a wildlife sanctuary. I would think poisoning would show up with that.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X