Bluetit squatter evicted

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bluetit squatter evicted

A bluetit has spent the best part of 3 weeks nest building in my bird box. Today I saw the female (yes, I can tell them apart 'cos every time she comes to the box, the male goes on the fat balls and stuffs himself, so he's a little round butterball, while she's slim and sleek - but I digress..) on the outside of the box and I thought she was pulling out fluff or down from the nest. Then she got a good grip and what did she pull out in a flurry of feathers and fight? Another bluetit!

It must have thought it could get squatter's rights if it could hang in there No chance! The rightful owners chased it right out of the garden. Now they are both back to the box every 5 minutes or so to check it.

I've seen this happen once before about 4 years ago. That time I was amazed to see the trespassing bluetit dragged out through the hole by a leg. I'm wondering if the male has been playing fast and loose and got himself a mistress without telling his wife - do bluetits do that? I know dunnocks often form a trio rather than a pair and I have three in the garden often.

Has anyone else seen this happen? I'd love to find out if it is common or unusual.
    Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
    Endless wonder.

I haven't seen an eviction but yesterday at my sister's we watched a blue tit to-ing and fro-ing to her neighbour's nest box. He/she was coming back with beaks so full of moss they couldn't get into the small hole and had to have several attempts. As all this was happening at least three other tits were trying to chase it away from the box. I actually said to my sister it looked as if there was a fight for the box. It's right on the house wall facing into the garden so the human family going in and out of the house will be in full view of the tits but I assume they know what they are doing!!

Comment

My box is near the patio doors - bluetits have nested in it for several years and have never been put off by people going in and out.
      Endless wonder.

Comment

The box is evidently very popular this year - I've just watched an orange tailed bumblebee go in the hole. It stayed inside the box a good 10 minutes or so. Do you think the bluetits will be able to prevent it starting a nest, or will they give up and move on?
        Endless wonder.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X