Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pond tray?

Hi all

I am looking to put a small wildlife pond on the end of the plot. Only small, probably up to 1m square. Was thinking of sinking a large gravel tray or a kids sandpit (shell type plastic) into the ground but both of those have disappeared from the free scrounge
    any other ideas? I don't want to be lining a dirt hole with gravel and the cheapest pond liner I can find is nearly £20 so I'm not keen on that either.

How about an offcut of D.P.M.? Damp Proof Membrane is laid on the ground/soil before the foundations of a building are poured. I'm sure a builder chum will have a small offcut you can scrounge. Dig an 'ole and line with builder's sand, lay in the D.P.M. and there y'are. Cheers, Tony.
    Semper in Excrementem Altitvdo Solvs Varivs.

Comment

Old 35/50 gallon plastic water tank, cut down to the required depth. Plumbers are only to glad to get rid of them, I give 10/15 away every year. Some go for container growing some for wildlife ponds.

Colin
      Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

For a tiny one (but it's still useful) you could sink a plastic washing up bowl. Put some pebbles and sticks in so that animals that fall in can climb back out again, and be prepared to keep it topped up with rainwater

I found a how to: http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/wildabout...ini_pond.shtml
        Last edited by Two_Sheds; 15-03-2012, 07:38 PM.
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

For a tiny one you can also use a dustbin lid of the old fashioned metal or rubbery variety. Or a trug, cut down to the depth you want.

Comment

I've literally just remembered that I have a baby bath in the garage.

I know some plastics don't weather too well if left out...sun and frost damage. If it was sunk in and in the shade, do you think it would be OK?
            the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

It's impossible to tell Di, you'll just have to try it. I've had washing up bowls outside for a few years OK. Those clear storage boxes are hopeless though

Comment

It's the most important thing on my 'to do' list, so I think I'll give it a go. (I'd managed to get a really well established wildlife corner on the plot I gave up )

I've just had another thought, sorry, I'm thinking out loud when I could be googling. The spot I'd decided is most ideal, (being fairly central and in the shade) is right by a comost heap...now worrying it may become a rat magnet?

Comment

I've never had rats in any of my compost heaps ... keep them damp and turned, and the rats won't move in

Comment

I think I need to modify mine a bit. The two biggest are ready to empty...Andi felt the bigger the better and they just don't lend themselves to being turned. Once empty I shall split them into four.

Comment

another thought- council recycling box? one of ours (we use three) has been chucked down one two many times and the rim has broken. I'm sick of picking it up in the dark when I come home and catching my fingers, so maybe I could use it? (I know I need to make a ramp for beasties to get in an out)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X