No announcement yet.

Where have all the grasshoppers gone?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had a massive colony of them on the allotment this year, and kept a big section of the path between my 2 plots unstrimmed for them, much to the annoyance of the allotment committee I did invite a couple of them in to see and hear them though, just so they knew why I was doing it.
    What do they do in winter? Do they die off? Could really do with chopping the grass down now, and I haven't heard them at all since the weather turned wet a few weeks ago. I don't want to go and kill them all though if they're just hiding from the rain!

Comment

Apparently adult grasshoppers die when freezing temperatures arrive and the female eggs lay dormant in the soil until the following summer.

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charles Churchill : A dog will look up on you; a cat will look down on you; however, a pig will see you eye to eye and know it has found an equal

Comment

Oh, that's alright, I can cut back in a couple of weeks then Thanks WW

Comment

I have few on my plots i find them fascinating..jacob
          What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
          Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

Originally posted by weekendwellies View Post
            This thread made me wonder what use grasshoppers are to the gardener, so I googled it. Apparently they prefer to eat grasses, leaves and cereal crops so, although the sound of grasshoppers chirruping away is lovely and makes me reminisce, unless you have enough space to leave as a wild area then do they really have a place in the crop-growing or flower garden?
            I'm not sure it matters if they have a place in a crop growing garden or not. Surely it's just about a diversity of nature. As most of us are organic type growers, we want to support as big-a garden ecosystem as we can.

Plus the fact, that on warm summer evenings, one of the greatest pleasures must be to look round your plot with a glass of your pleasure, listening to the crickets.

If they ever get to locust plague conditions, I reserve the right to change my mind.
            "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X