Sloworms

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sloworms

Usually skitting around the greenhouse, but now these three taking residence in the compost heap (must have been talking to yours Jeanied) - gorgeous creatures.
    Attached Files
    "We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses."-- Abraham Lincoln

Snap T8Ter - my compost heap looks just the same. Do you think the female with the slight swelling is going to have some more babies?
    I was shocked to see a blackbird going after one of my babies on the plot the other day - I knew they were predated by cats but a blackbird??
    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Lovely piccies!!!

I've only ever seen them once- when we were moving a pile of logs in a field near Wellington!
      By heck they gave me a fright

( and yes- I am a bit more worldly these days!!)

Lucky you- we have grass snakes which I know aren't poisonous, but my instinct is to leg it incase it's a viper ( neighbour has those)

...and yes- it is hard to focus without wearing ones specs while running away flapping ones arms!!!!
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Ty Nicos, I agree, grass-snakes not quite so appealing but still lovely.
        Yes Jeanie, I suspect she's about to have babies in the next few weeks, as for the blackbird a young sloworm = big worm
        "We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses."-- Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Beautiful, I wish we had them over here
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I found a very large one around April/May and have not seen any since - crazy weather may have discombobulated them! Or the cats have found a few 'extras'.......oooooh no!

Comment

Ooooh, how lovely. We have them round here, but not in our garden, unfortunately. I like the way they wrap themselves round your hand/wrist for warmth when you pick them up. Also, if you hold them up and look at them, they watch you too, turning their heads so they can study your face. Fascinating, and absolutely lovely! Lucky you!
              All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
              Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Originally posted by quark1 View Post
                I found a very large one around April/May and have not seen any since - crazy weather may have discombobulated them! Or the cats have found a few 'extras'.......oooooh no!
                Thanks Quark - I thought it was a made-up word!!!

We live and learn!
                All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X