Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nesting Blue Tit question.....

Greetings all,
    I have a small question to ask you assembled masses. We have (for the third year in a row) blue tits nesting in a box just outside our patio doors. There are 6 chicks that look ready to fledge at any moment. My wife and I have been watching the parents flying backwards and forwards beaks holding grubs etc seemingly all day long.
    However, it seems that on occasion, the parent flys out of the box with something darker in its beak. Marie took some video today, which *seems* to show the rear end of a chick having it's droppings removed by the parent, to be flown elsewhere and, I imagine, deposited.
    Is this a normal thing for nesting birds to do?
    A slightly odd question, but something that has been puzzling us!
    Cheers,
    Adam

Seen it on a Bill Oddie program, baby bird has a poop Mum & Dad clean it up, just like we do with ours!

Comment

They produce a little fecal sac to order for Mum and Dad to remove. How amazing to see that in close up!
      Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Ahhh, that sounds like about it then - I may get around to posting some video on Youtube, though not sure about blue tit poop being the best way to pop my Youtube cherry!

Cheers,
        Adam

GrahamK - but us hoomins don't tend to use our mouths to pick the poop from the bum

Comment

Think I remember hearing about that - and that baby bird poo is in a tough gelatinous sac (guess it'd have to be, to be at all pick-up-able!). Beats being a mother cat/deer and having to lick them clean!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X