Harvey the Hedgehog

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harvey the Hedgehog

We've got a hedgehog in the garden!It takes the shelter in the stick shed and goes for a wander about in the evening.Are we supposed to keep it in the garden(it would be lovely-slugs going to hell but selfish)or encourage it to go and explore the world outside with a chance of meeting the Other Half?it could easily slip through the gate at night if wanted-it's not a prisoner here.

As you said, you're not keeping it a prisoner. Hedgehogs tend to come and go as they please and if it found it's way in I'm sure it will be able to find it's way out again if it decides to leave.

Comment

My Mum used to leave a pot of cat food by the back door, whenever there was an 'Oggy around (She had a Dog that would find them).

She once used a yogurt pot and one got it's head stuck. She had to get up in the early hours to investigate a curious 'tapping' by the back door, as it was bumping against the wall. She used a bigger pot after that!
      Last edited by Glutton4...; 02-05-2010, 08:16 AM.
      All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
      Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

They tend to roam about 3 miles a night- please don't keep it prisoner- they need to eat a variety of foodstuffs.
        Slugs are the last thing they should be encouraged to eat. They actually contain parasites which will eventually kill your hegehog. You now need to be extra vigilant to gather up slugs to dispose of rather than leaving them for Harvey.
        It's a slow unpleasnt death- I've seen it many times having helped out at a wildlife rescue centre.

Fresh water, a little extra cat food ( not one with gravy- only jelly)and died dog biscuits and a nice safe place to sleep during the day will make your garden more attractive than other places to visit.

Use the search facility at the top of the page- we've chatted about hedgehogs a few times i the past!

I'm really pleased for you!
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
          Fresh water, a little extra cat food ( not one with gravy- only jelly)and died dog biscuits and a nice safe place to sleep during the day will make your garden more attractive than other places to visit.
          Nicos means dried dog biccies - or has she taken up a new job at the doggie mortuary? Canine soylent green anyone?
          Last edited by Jeanied; 02-05-2010, 08:31 AM.
          Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Can I leave some dog food instead of cat one?(we haven't got a cat).Something like half-dry Bakers meaty chunks?I'm not going to feed him constantly as it should look for its own food supply and I remeber reading an article about fat hedgehog

BBC NEWS | UK | England | Surrey | Huge hedgehog goes on Atkins diet

Comment

Dried food is better. Many hedgehogs fed in gardens have gum disease..and their teeth drop out!

Moist food would be fine for occasional feeds.
              Why not give a rescue centre like Mrs Tiggywinkles a ring- or have a Google around and see what you can do for the best.
              Damp food goes off quicker than dry biscuits- so may end up being left .
              I understand cat food is less rich than dog food.

You'll know if it's your hedgehog eating the food as they tend to pooh around where they eat!
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Thanks Nicos
                Oh,well,the dog won't be too happy as he will have to spare a few treats

Comment

I buy 'my' hogs proper hog food from pet store or garden centre, it is just like cat biscuits - ok so its cost a few pennies but as I don't smoke or even drink that much so it's my little treat and I get so much pleasure watching them.

Comment

I had a look at a couple of websites-they said James Wellbeloved dogs biscuits work a treat for them-well,that's what he'll get
                    Thanks for all the advice

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X