Saved a Bumble bee

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saved a Bumble bee

There it was poor little mite, trapped in my cats water bowl...... A huge Bumble Bee - absolutely exhausted and soaking wet, almost dead'ed so I placed her on a piece of kitchen roll with a pink primrose flower and added a dob of my 'girls' honey and placed a roomy salad bowl over her! next to the stove she soon dried out and sucked up the honey with great gusto. I could see her rapidly beating her wings as if to get some heat going through her. Lifted the bowl and she started to fly. gently I popped her in a warm tea towel (idea being to put in the garden and prop open a corner so she could fly away when she was ready, this way she should not get cold to quickly) I took her outside- it was only 4deg this morning hence the warm tea towel idea. Well she flew out straight away hovered in front of me a while then started to spiral upwards and away.
    HEAVEN - a happy headfry hope she makes it ok

Sometimes its the simple things.......
    Last edited by Headfry; 16-04-2010, 08:21 AM.

How lovely! Sounds like she was a Queen, HF. Did she look otherwise healthy. I always have a quick look for signs of mites.

I had to rescue a great big man from a Queen Bumble very recently, she'd got into the building and was trying to get out of a non-opening window. He was having hysterics! I picked up a sheet of paper, let her crawl onto it, carried her to the door, and off she went. I turned to the man and said 'and that's how you rescue a Bumble Bee'. He sloped off looking very embarrassed!!
    Last edited by Pumpkin Becki; 16-04-2010, 08:37 AM.

Comment

What a lovely tale HF. I always get stressed when bumble bees get stuck in our porch coz they never want to get on my sheet of paper
      Happy Gardening,
      Shirley

Comment

Shirl - I often use a soft clean duster and gently - very - grab them!
        PB - She looked in great form when released, but a real goner before hand.
        She made my day! as I say - for me its the simple things.

Comment

Well done! no wonder you feel so good!
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Brilliant! Just brilliant.

Thanks for sharing that HF - a really nice warming story full of care. You are amazing.
            A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Well done you. Happiness is in the small things

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charles Churchill : A dog will look up on you; a cat will look down on you; however, a pig will see you eye to eye and know it has found an equal

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X