Do you wash your birdfeeders???

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you wash your birdfeeders???

Well we never have- but I think we should start doing so!!!

Salmonella/ parasites????

BBC News - Warning over unclean bird feeders
    Last edited by Nicos; 11-04-2010, 09:01 AM.
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

I've got some special bird safe cleaner - I use it every 3 or 4 washes - in between I use really hot water and scrub the little perches well.
    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Yes, I give mine a soak in diluted bleach every so often, maybe not often enough.
      Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Mind you - it is all very well me keeping the feeders and birdbath really clean for the little darlings - but you should see how they repay me. I have never seen such messy eaters - they chuck the seed everywhere! And poo in the birdbath.
        Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

I've recently got hold of a bird bath via freecycle and gave it a good scrub, ready to place in the garden. When checking out bird baths via the internet it had said that you need to change the water every day for the birds and keep the bird bath clean, although no mention of salmonella and parasites.

Comment

No. I don't wash out my plant pots either. I am just a slob - throw mud at me!
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I wash all mine, but the birds prefer to drink from a bucket of water that is half full of manure. I use this as a plant feed and it stinks. When I give it a stair, I get loads of bubbles and the blackbirds cue up.

Comment

i clean out mine once a month with just warm water, some of them that i cant get to the bottom is soaked in water over night. The peanuts tend to go off and i have even had in the past a small growth of grass from the seeds.
                In summer i do it less because its tends to be ahem! dry.
                http://www.paintingsussex.co.uk

Comment

Clean ours out whenever we refill the seed feeders but don't bother often with the fat ball holders as they don't get that manky. Funnily enough did them last week

Like Flum though, don't do plant pots....

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X