Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for a container pond

Hello!

I am looking to set up a small container pond for my (hopefully soon to be) wildlife garden!

Anybody any tips on plants for it? Pref native?

Also any general tips like location, set up etc would be more than welcome!

Thanks,

emily

I think my first consideration would be to keep it out of the sun, they soon turn green, unless of course that is the look you are after for the wildlife.
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Have you got a container in mind? Seen one made out of an old boiler tank. Make sure that you have a gentle sloping side whatever you use to help animals get out.
      Elsie

Comment

I would just like something I can set up and leave to do it's thing that I can have a nosey at every now and then to see what's going on.

The area I was thinking of gets about a half day of sunshine

Comment

Originally posted by elsie-scot View Post
          Have you got a container in mind? Seen one made out of an old boiler tank. Make sure that you have a gentle sloping side whatever you use to help animals get out.
          Elsie,

I found an old sink in my garage and was going to use this but build up the sides with rocks etc for things to get in and out.

Do you think this would be ok?

Comment

Originally posted by emily84 View Post
            Elsie,

I found an old sink in my garage and was going to use this but build up the sides with rocks etc for things to get in and out.

Do you think this would be ok?
            Sounds a great idea, make sure the plug hole is well sealed & you already have an automatic overflow. Bury the sink & it should be fine.
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

This might give you food for thought.

Google Image Result for http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/nana7/nanagarden/000_0357.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                Wow, that's beautiful! Doubt mine will be that pretty but what a thing to aim for!

Comment

As my sink is fairly small I will need plants that are and will stay small to go in it.

Any suggestions?

Comment

We bought a little ready-to-go thing from Sainsburys a few years ago. Looks like a mini barrel section. It came with all the plants, soil and gravel all you had to do was literally add water.

Our's is in full sun, and often gets clogged with leaves, but the plants still keep coming back and the birds love it.
                    A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Have a looksee here;

A Miniature Water Garden Creates Harmony And Balance

or here;

Tub & Patio Gardens; How to Build & Care for Your Container Garden
                      A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Thanks, great links!

Comment

Originally posted by emily84 View Post
                          As my sink is fairly small I will need plants that are and will stay small to go in it.

Any suggestions?
                          Most local garden centres sell plants to go in ponds & bog gardens. Maybe a local pet shop sells plants for cold water aquariums.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                            Most local garden centres sell plants to go in ponds & bog gardens. Maybe a local pet shop sells plants for cold water aquariums.
                            Thanks mallly Hopefully going to gc today so will see what I can find!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X