1st ladybird of 2010

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st ladybird of 2010

She was crawling up a sweet william in the sunshine, looking a little bemused.
    I found half a dozen others, still asleep, tucked among the plants and dead foliage

The sun didn't last long, it was shrouded by thick fog come midday
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

We've had loads overwintering in our house this year. Haven't spotted any outdoors though yet. Always a nice sight!
    I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

Always loads overwintering in our house too, their favourite room seems to be our ensuite - they especially like snoozing in the bathroom cabinet!
      Jane,
      keen but (slightly less) clueless
      http://janesvegpatch.blogspot.com

Comment

I found several last week when digging a clients veg garden (lovely sandy soil, not like my clay). They were hiding in the soil about two inches down. I put them back safely in a part I had already dug!
        All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
        Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

I have found a few dopey ones. I put them in the ladybird house which none of them seem to have noticed yet
          Not got so many in the house this year. I am sure I read that the harlequin ones are more likely to come in the house.

Comment

I have found several in the garden over the past three days, some happily bumbling around, but sadly four trying to drown themselves in the birdbath. Also, yesterday when walking to work there were loads on the pavement, just crawling along.

Comment

I found one in the kitchen sink yesterday! It was lucky I spotted it before it got washed down the plughole. No idea how it got there and I haven't seen any more at all.
              Forbidden Fruits make many Jams.

Comment

Some out and about up here, a few even getting friendly with each other....
                The cats' valet.

Comment

Squillions of them all over the garden all week, very pleased as I've been trying to lure them in. British ones too
                  Most of them sunbathing on the roof of the chicken coop, not sure what the attraction there is.

One question though, if there are loads about so early, what is there for them to eat? No greenfly about yet.

Comment

Had a large 'busy' one in the bathroom yesterday. One landed on my leg this evening, whilst watching the Rugger (me not the ladybird). Large, Red, with about twelve black spots!
                    Last edited by Glutton4...; 20-03-2010, 11:29 PM.
                    All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                    Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

lotts in my house,some without spots , some with loads of spots and some with just two spots.
                      totally mad on growing veg and keeping bantams!!!!

Comment

You can usually tell the harlequins by the black letter M on the back of its head
                        Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

I found 1 in our windosil, got it to crawl on some paper then let it out. Havent seen any others though.

Comment

Originally posted by janeyo View Post
                            what is there for them to eat? No greenfly about yet.
                            Some are herbivorous (like me) Ladybirds at Animal Corner
                            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X