GYO wild bird seed

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GYO wild bird seed

'Snuffer' jokingly said it would be a lot cheaper if we could grow our own birdfood instead of buying it. Sunflowers are the obvious, anyone got any other possibilities? I remember a friend ( a PC Plod ), coming to see us and suggesting we removed the seedlings under our bird table I have a feeling we can grow millet in warmer summer, but I'm not sure what else. Suggestions please!!

I grew some Sun Flowers this year they was on the front cover of the BBC garden mag they must have been the right ones the whole l;ot had been scoffed when winter came along .
    So if you grow the right stuff you will tell because they will eat the lot by wintertime....jacob
    What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
    Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

Originally posted by Torreya View Post
      'Snuffer' jokingly said it would be a lot cheaper if we could grow our own birdfood instead of buying it. Sunflowers are the obvious, anyone got any other possibilities? I remember a friend ( a PC Plod ), coming to see us and suggesting we removed the seedlings under our bird table I have a feeling we can grow millet in warmer summer, but I'm not sure what else. Suggestions please!!
      Hi Rosemary, when we moved into our house 4 years ago, we did as we were told and left the garden alone to see what came up, and yes...youve guessed it we had the same specimin sprouting up!I think its quite often that a stray seed is lurking in birdseed and sprouts. Hasn't happened since in our garden tho! How about pumphin seed etc, we then get to eat the flesh too. Probably loads more too. most berries that are left in the garden are munched.
      http://newshoots.weebly.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/New-S...785438?fref=ts

Comment

Trouble with leaving pumpkins, squashes etc, is that it also attracts the Rolands and meeces!! I was thinking more of 'traditional' seeds that I could harvest and store in rodent-proof bins (if there is such a thing!!) Years ago, I bought a 1950's book from a s/h shop on 'growing bird-seed commercially', have had the house upside-down and I can't find it anywhere. I know I haven't recycled it, so maybe the Rolands have eaten it - along with everything else

Comment

Hi Torreya - if you have Goldfinches they like Nyger seed - they chuck it everywhere and then it sprouts! If you want some pm me as I have a big bag for them. Have absolutely no clue what it is like to grow as I sweep it off the paving before it gets too big.
          Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X