Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Butterfly Bush

Hey All,
    I have a pretty large and over grown bufferfly bush (Buddleja i belive is the techical name).

I'd still like to get the flowers and the butterflies in the summer, but it needs cutting down. Is it too late, does anyone no any rules of where best to cut it back?. I'm pretty novise at this!

Thanks Di

Your timing is spot on as February is traditionaly the month for pruning Buddleja although I might wait til after this cold spell

They should be cut down to about knee high, with a regularly pruned bush this is quick and easy with loppers, if it's not been pruned for a few years you'll need a saw.
    Any thin whispy bits are best removed altogether.
    It might seem drastic but it will still grow 6 -9ft and flower in the summer.
    With regular pruning you get bigger flowers and at a height you can enjoy.

Some finger thick prunings cut back to 2 ft can be stuck in the ground without ceremony if you want more plants, most will root if they don't dry out too much

Comment

It should be pruned every year (early spring) to keep it under control.

You can be brutal with it: take it down to 18" high, it'll still grow like mad and flower this year
      Last edited by Two_Sheds; 31-01-2010, 09:57 AM.
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

We take ours down near the end of the summer; mainly because the neighbour can't get at her rasps when it is in full bloom - it bounces back each year though.

Comment

I have mixed success with pruning things like Buddleia. I generally find if I want it to live, it dies, whereas if I want to kill it, it comes back even more vigorously than before

Perhaps I should stick to growing things that don't need pruning - like Veg!

Not a lot of help am I? Welcome to the Madhouse, anyway!
          All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
          Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Some finger thick prunings cut back to 2 ft can be stuck in the ground without ceremony if you want more plants, most will root if they don't dry out too much[/QUOTE]

I'll definately be trying this this year - thanks for the tip Lovage. We planted aone last year and it was dripping with butterflies most of the time. So would love more plants.

Comment

It's jolly hard to kill a buddleia! I cut mine down late Feb/March here in the north (ish) because you can get die-back from the cut ends if you get a really harsh spell after pruning. Generally speaking though, a sharp hair cut improves the flowering - the rascemes tend to be longer in the current year's growth.
              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

At the rate this winter is going, I'd better hold off pruning mine til about July then! Still snowing!

Comment

You can safely prune buddleia into early spring, anytime after hard frosts, but it is likely the plant will survive even these!
                  Really great gardens seem to teeter on the edge of anarchy yet have a balance and poise that seem inevitable. Monty Don in Gardening Mad

Comment

Tough as old boots those things, prune away
                    WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Thanks Everyone for the advise!

Comment

I'll add my tuppence worth if I may.

I find March an ideal time to do the second prune on the plants (I have 7). Take it right down to just two leaf bud pairs from the base (in case of late frosts) - it will be 9 foot high by mid-summer.

The first prune should be in autumn (October) and take off the top two thirds of the bush to prevent wind rock damage.
                        The cats' valet.

Comment

Mine is next to a fence and doesn't get much wind so I leave it all till spring. This means the birds have a field day over winter with the seeds.
                          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Lovage View Post
                            Some finger thick prunings cut back to 2 ft can be stuck in the ground without ceremony if you want more plants, most will root if they don't dry out too much
                            Thanks for the tip Lovage - I didn't realise it was so simple.

Like most of the other grapes I prune mine in the Spring (March) with good results. I just adore the flowers and scent.
                            A good beginning is half the work.
                            Praise the young and they will make progress.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X