Don't Forget the Birds.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't Forget the Birds.

Please remember to keep feeding the birds during this very cold weather. Snow and ice make it very difficult for them to access their wild food supplies. In this weather they are more dependant on what we put out for them.

Please try and make extra effort to keep the feeders topped up. A bird making a journey to an empty feeder where it expects to find food is using energy it can ill afford to waste.
    It is the doom of man, that they forget.

I have 3 blackbirds, a sparrow and a robin in my garden waiting to be fed.

They get a handful of soaked raisins (which contain valuable water), apples, baked potato, pastry and seeds to peck at.

I put a bowl of water out, but it freezes up within an hour.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
      I have 3 blackbirds, a sparrow and a robin in my garden waiting to be fed.

They get a handful of soaked raisins (which contain valuable water), apples, baked potato, pastry and seeds to peck at.

I put a bowl of water out, but it freezes up within an hour.
      An important point (thanks Two Sheds). Our feathered friends need water as well. Very difficult to provide at the moment but things like apples and as Two Sheds says soaked raisins will give the birds access to some moisture.

Comment

....was thinking of reminding peeps this morning too!
        Like the idea of soaked raisins- I'd've never thought of that! good idea!
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Feeders topped up this morning. Good point on the raisins, will buy some today!
          Cheers

Danny

Comment

NB: raisins are poisonous to doggies
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
              NB: raisins are poisonous to doggies
              Thanks for that TS, better keep my baby away then!!

I put a tray of nuts out an hour ago and they've gone already
              Cheers

Danny

Comment

Yesterday I melted some lard (dead of winter's the only time I buy it - the supermarket must think I'm mainlining the stuff!) and stirred in some finely chopped stale bread. I didn't know there were that many birds in East Yorkshire - they turned up all at once!
                Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                  Yesterday I melted some lard (dead of winter's the only time I buy it - the supermarket must think I'm mainlining the stuff!) and stirred in some finely chopped stale bread. I didn't know there were that many birds in East Yorkshire - they turned up all at once!
                  Hi Flum,

Do you just let it cool and put it in a tub or bowl?
                  Cheers

Danny

Comment

I've been putting out daily rations inc fresh water. Seems like they are in need of it as they seem to form a queue from first thing!

Not sure if anyone has mentioned, but bread should be soggy (or finely chopped and/or larded ala flum) and highly salted stuff should be avoided.
                    Last edited by mrdinkle; 05-01-2010, 11:37 AM.
                    Excuse me, could we have an eel? You've got eels down your leg.

Comment

Mrs snuffer uses stacks of lard to make fat cakes for the birds. Just uses bird seed, lard, kitchen scraps and flour to help thicken the cakes and make them hold together better. The birds love them and it is much cheaper than buying fat balls.

Comment

I have always fed the birds and get an amazing variety from Woodpeckers, Robins,Tits, Jays to Wrens, Nuthatches, Finches, and loads more, they all feed in different ways and the obvious nut feeders are very popular, the black birds are forever flicking the leaves over to see what's beneath, for some reason I have a pair of Wagtails in the paddock, that seem to love following my horses around, maybe they disturb the ground enough to enable them to feed. Water is difficult to keep from freezing, I try and start the day with warm water so it lasts a bit longer for them.

Comment

We had our first bullfinch in the garden today - the cold weather has obviously brought it in. We see them in the lane a couple of minutes walk away but it's a first for the garden. He was eating seeds from the not-yet-cut-down buddleia. Here's to untidy gardening!
                          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I'm keeping the feeders topped up, plus they've got apples, raisins, home made fatball, and the skin and fat off the bacon joint I cooked at the weekend. Neighbours must think I'm do-lally taking the kettle out to the bird bath, but it's the only way to melt it. Been rewarded with the sight of sparrows, blackbirds, bluetits, collared doves, robin, starlings and a Jenny Wren.

Comment

Funny you mention finches - in the last five years I have seen very few around here, yet since this cold snap I have started to see them (bullfinches, chaffinches). I have been putting out the Niger seed in hope that they will visit my garden!
                              Excuse me, could we have an eel? You've got eels down your leg.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X