Poor little Robin

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor little Robin

I have several bird feeders in the garden so get lots of visitors. Last week I noticed a robin that had it's beak open and the feathers on one side of its face were darker than normal so I thought perhaps it had been in a fight for the (hopefully desirable) territory that is my back garden.
    I've been putting out food for him (?) crumbling a fat ball, chopping left over chicken, pounding peanuts in the mortar and pestle so its small enough for him. He is very appreciative and when he sees my face at the window comes up to the back door to be fed.
    My allotment is close to my house (I'm so lucky) about the equivalent of 6 or 7 gardens away and while I was up there today my friend pointed out the robin with the open beak - and yes it was him, he had followed the sound of my voice and was keeping us company although after a while he was chased away by another robin.
    When I came home my son took some photos of him with his super-duper camera and I was really upset to see that what I thought was a scab healing by his beak looks bigger and I wonder if it is a tumour. He has a strange shape too - very humpy - like a tennis ball.
    Our little Robin sits outside our back door - his favourite places are the antlers on the wall or the stretcher of the chair outside the door - we have a perspex roof over the area so it's sheltered.
    I'll try to upload a photo of him for you.

You could ask on RSPB forum

Forums - The RSPB Community

or

BirdForum - The Net's Largest Birding Community, Dedicated To Wild Birds

I do remember reading somewhere that a lot of mortality amongst robins is from hunger, so I imagine he's happy you're feeding him. Don't forget how important fresh water is too.
    Last edited by smallblueplanet; 01-01-2010, 09:54 PM.
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

It really is most likely to be a robin fight injury - they fight to the death sometimes. So what you are doing is about the best - making sure he is fed and watered - to give him the best chance of recovery. Apparently they love live and dried mealworms and my uncle used to feed his tame robin with grated cheese! (Cheddar, of course!!)
      Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Careful feeding birds hard cheese that its not too salty for them.
        To see a world in a grain of sand
        And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Poor little guy, I do hope he pulls through the winter, by the sounds of it he stands a really good chance with your help jogette...well done, sounds like you've made a friend there.

Comment

Birds can get canker, it is like a swelling inside the mouth, it would be worth contacting the RSBP just to make sure there is nothing wrong with him. Pigeons are very prone to this.

Comment

Here are some photo links for him.
              Flickr Photo Download: Mr Robin

Sorry I don't know how to show them online. You can see what an odd shape he is and the growth/scar by his beak.
              Am having steak tonight so that I can thinly pare some for him....how mad is that

Comment

The little guy is still around although he is being picked on by other robins moving in to his territory. They dive bomb him as he is trying to eat , poor thing. He tends to come back to his antlers at the end of the day and I make sure he has some decent food to help him through these cold nights.

Our little robin can't preen himself so he gets very wet and bedraggled, tonight especially so. My OH plugged in the hair dryer and stretched the lead to the back door and gently dried him as he sat on the antlers - I think he quite enjoyed it
                Not quite as mad as my friend who gave mouth to mouth resuscitation to a fish - but getting close!

Comment

We had a cheeky Robin that used to feed on the end of the draining board in the kitchen as soon as the back door was open he was there but last week when unloading the shopping out of the car it went on safari round the back of the wellies and boots and Old Gal Marleys mousetrap got him very sad .
                  But we have 3 others in the garden so perhaps one of them will take over his roll....jacob
                  What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
                  Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

Originally posted by jogette View Post
                    My OH plugged in the hair dryer and stretched the lead to the back door and gently dried him as he sat on the antlers - I think he quite enjoyed it
                    ..what a lovely thing to do!!!!
                    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

That's amazing that he let you dry him like that, he must know you are helping him. That's really lovely, I hope he's OK.
                      Gardening forever- housework whenever

Comment

Well done you for helping him and i hope he sees it through the winter.

Comment

About a week after the last post, Robin didn't turn up at the end of the day which was most unusual. Looked for him the next morning but he wasn't around so I assumed that the little guy had succumbed to the disease.
                          The silliest thing is that when I look through the kitchen window I still expect to see that little face peering in at me
                          Last edited by jogette; 22-02-2010, 07:46 PM.

Comment

poor little thing- it was lovely what you did for him though
                            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Owwww, That's so sad (sniffs into tissue), He may have been an old robin and this bitter cold winter was just too much for him, even with your love and care.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X