Pruning Buddleia

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pruning Buddleia

My neighbour has asked for advice. She has a Buddleia that has not been pruned for about ten years, it's about 8ft tall and a similar spread. Any advice about when to prune and how much could we cut it back. There is a lot of dead wood to be seen but it has been flowering well and certainly attracts butterflies so I don't want to kill it.
    History teaches us that history teaches us nothing. - Hegel

Wait till February or March then chop it hard back - you can use a saw. Cut it to about 1 ft off the ground. It really will regenerate in a season and when it's well pruned the racemes of flowers are bigger. You'll be doing it a favour.
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

We chopped ours back yesterday. All this years growth comes off (the long shoots with flowers on top) plus anything dead or grown sticking out in the wrong place. It will start sprouting again then take off next year. It puts on 5-6' of height in a year. If you look closely it might have new growth already. It sprouts from older wood too so don't be scared to cut it back until it looks like a trunk.

Comment

What I do is prune it twice.

First cut is before the winter gales (take half to two thirds off) to prevent wind rock (do this for roses too).

then in early spring, take it down to within about 18" of the ground, depending on how brave you are.
        Last edited by Two_Sheds; 05-11-2009, 07:07 PM.
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I need to do mine too. It's taken over the whole of my front garden and is threatening to tap with ghostly fingers on my upstairs bedroom windows.

Absolutely rocks with bees, butterflies and little birds throughout the summer and autumn and the scent is to die for.

Just working up the courage to use the chainsaw
          If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

Comment

Originally posted by oldie View Post
            I don't want to kill it.
            These shrubs are virtually indestructible, and as has already been pointed out, pruning them hard can actually increase the flowering potential. I have just hammered a very large bush to within three ft of the ground (I estimate it was about 12ft high and similar spread) and it will get hit again in spring.
            I have seen what can only be described as a stump, replanted and recover to flower within 6 months - as I said, virtually indestructible.
            Rat

British by birth
            Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
            http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Take a third off now as mentioned above, reduces wind rock, then in late March take it back all over to two buds (leave sets) from the trunk end everywhere. By summer it will be about 6 - 8 feet tall covered in flowers and wildlife. I have 7 throughout the gardens, purple, blue, white and yellow (globe), and they try to seed everywhere too so are dead easy to grow on from seed.
              The cats' valet.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I will be sawing and cutting 6ft off it is not raining tomorrow.
                History teaches us that history teaches us nothing. - Hegel

Comment

I find that a problem with cutting them too hard back at this time of year is that they can die back from the cut if they get hard-frosted. Leave the final chop till spring to be safe.
                  Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I did all mine yesterday as described above, with the exception of the yellow globe variety as it was still in flower. Today there is a red admiral making use of it.

As Flummery says, leave the serious cut until March and then always leave at least two leaf buds on each stem as frost protection.
                    The cats' valet.

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                      I find that a problem with cutting them too hard back at this time of year is that they can die back from the cut if they get hard-frosted. Leave the final chop till spring to be safe.
                      A good point. I don't get a frost over here until February, usually.
                      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X