Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spider Ident please...

Couldn't get a decent picture, but can describe it *shudder*

It was lurking inside a nasturtium leaf, which it had made into a sort of funnel using its web. (Went to see why the leaf was curled up.)

The spider was about 3/4" (so far as I could tell, because it seemed to be crouching!) inc legs. The body was round and, I think, goldish in colour - as you can tell, I didn't hang around - and the legs were relatively thick and stubby. It wasn't what I think of as the 'pill box' ones with little round brownish bodies and long skinny legs.

Any ideas? Please don't make me Google spiders - I have a Thing about them. I know, I know, not the best situation for an allotment holder, but there you go...

It could be a labyrinth spider, they make webs with a 'tunnel' in them but I'm not sure if they would roll a leaf. If you can bear to look at it here's a link with a photo & some info., don't worry whatever it is it's more interested in flies than it is in you!
    Labyrinth Spiders - Agelena labyrinthica - UK Safari
    Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Originally posted by SueA View Post
      It could be a labyrinth spider, they make webs with a 'tunnel' in them but I'm not sure if they would roll a leaf. If you can bear to look at it here's a link with a photo & some info., don't worry whatever it is it's more interested in flies than it is in you!
      Labyrinth Spiders - Agelena labyrinthica - UK Safari

UGH!

Nope - The one I have is much fatter and the body isn't pointy.

The leaf isn't exactly rolled. It's stuck together along the edges to make a kind of cup/funnel shape. In fact, I've just noticed the typo - I meant funnel, not tunnel. Doh!!

Comment

Yuk. Sounds disgusting whatever it is. And I don't want to see it.

Comment

Originally posted by janeyo View Post
          Yuk. Sounds disgusting whatever it is. And I don't want to see it.
          Just wondered if anyone else has the same problem as me with spiders? If I'm outside in the garden the spiders don't bother me at all, I can even handle them, but if I see one in the house I'm absolutely horrified!
          Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

How about this fella - loads of them about this time of year - large bloated abdomens and sturdy shortish legs - colour of body can range from the brown in pic to quite pale shades - be warned he's not pretty!

http://www.wildliferanger.co.uk/user...n%20Spider.JPG

Nastiest spider I've ever seen is actually called the camel spider - but is a closer relative of the scorpion - there are some terrifying pics on the web......go on.....give it a 'google images' and take a peek!

Comment

Originally posted by quark1 View Post
              How about this fella - loads of them about this time of year - large bloated abdomens and sturdy shortish legs - colour of body can range from the brown in pic to quite pale shades - be warned he's not pretty!

http://www.wildliferanger.co.uk/user...n%20Spider.JPG

Nastiest spider I've ever seen is actually called the camel spider - but is a closer relative of the scorpion - there are some terrifying pics on the web......go on.....give it a 'google images' and take a peek!
              As long as they're not in my bathroom, or on the bedroom ceiling, or running across the floor - I'm only an indoor arachnophobe!!
              Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Now I just had to go and Google it didn't I! Now I'm NOT scared of Spiders (or Simons, as they are in our family ) but that is probably one that would have me doing a quick re-think!
                All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Thought I'd save everyone the bother and here's some of them (camel spiders)..

Sorry basketcase, is there any way to get a pic??? would help.

Gets coat!
                  Last edited by RedThorn; 03-10-2009, 07:20 PM.
                  Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

My brother keeps one of these as a PET I kid you not. WHY!!!

Scorpion spider ugh!
                    Attached Files

Comment

I think I saw one of those on the One Show - it had Adrian and Christine jumping over the sofa and hiding/quivering in fear behind them - can't say I blame them!

Lizzy - has the medical profession certified your brother as being OK to own one of those - brave or crazy - perhaps a bit of both.

No way would something like that find its way into my house even behind glass.

Comment

Lizzie now that is just a creature of beauty! Can understand why he keeps it
                        Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by RedThorn View Post
                          Lizzie now that is just a creature of beauty! Can understand why he keeps it
                          Remind me of our mum (owwwww retract those crawls!!!!)

Comment

Originally posted by quark1 View Post
                            I think I saw one of those on the One Show - it had Adrian and Christine jumping over the sofa and hiding/quivering in fear behind them - can't say I blame them!

Lizzy - has the medical profession certified your brother as being OK to own one of those - brave or crazy - perhaps a bit of both.

No way would something like that find its way into my house even behind glass.
                            Yes you're right - bit of both. Entimologist is what he is. My fav of his creatures is this most beautiful Jungle Nymph. Stunning leaf insect, very gentle and very tickly!!!

Would you believe the spider is completely harmless to us or so he says.....I don't trust him that much to find out. Argh!
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by lizzylemon; 03-10-2009, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Red Thorn, that was NOT nice!!! *shudder*

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X