help - poorly hedgehog

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help - poorly hedgehog

Help needed. There is a hedgehog lying by our apple tree. Breathing seems laboured. (not that I know how fast they breathe). It is daylight.
    I am worried.
    What should I do for him?

janeyo

We found one out in sunshine in our garden last year and our local rescue centre advised us to put it in a big box with dog or cat food and water, an old towel or straw as bedding and leave it somewhere quiet. Ours recovered and escaped from the v large box - we were woken at 3am or so by a wide awake hedgehog snuffling in the kitchen ! They are faster than you expect when they dont want to be caught ! Usual problem apparently is dehydration, so provide water but not milk.
    good luck - their poo is huge !
    odd notes about our kitchen garden project:
    http://www.distractedbyathing.net/tag/garden/

Comment

Thanks. I got OH to pop him in a box, with some cat food and water. The cat was none too pleased thinking he was getting a second supper. Have left the box in the shed with the flaps cloesed in case anything can get into him. It doesn't get hot in there and I will check on him first thing. The box has air holes too.

Just looking for a number to ring for cambs hedgehoggy people tomorrow (in case he's no better) but can't find any yet!

Comment

You could always try The British Hedgehog Preservation Society or Mrs. Tiggywinkles. They are both good with helpful advice. If it eats and drinks ok, but starts trashing the box, it will probably be stressed and need to be released. Hope she's better soon
        What is this life, if full of care,
        We have no time to stand and stare
        . . .[/I][/I]

Comment

update

Well he/she is atill alive but I don't think it has eaten any of the food. The water looks mucky so have changed that ad I assume it has been drinking.
          I found a place to take him but was a long way from here.
          So have just phoned the local vets who kkow of a lady a couple of miles away from here.
          I am to take it to the vets to be checked this afternoon and they will pas sit on to the hedgehog lady if it is well enough...

feel very proud of myself now.

My little boy very upset as he wants to keep it as a pet!
          Last edited by janeyo; 26-08-2009, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Well done Janeyo, you've done all the right things. The rescue people will know just what to do to get it well again. They might even give it back to you so you can release it in your garden again.

Comment

The vet was lovely, she got it out of the box and let the boys have a good look. Cries of 'look at it's little nose mummy!' and 'look at it's cute feet mummy!'.
              They are going to assess it and decide of it can be looked after. She says he wasn't as prickly as he should be and is defo ill, as he was breathing quite laboured. Prob with lungworm.

At least we have tried to get him to the right places and not just left him to the foxes in the garden.

Comment

Any updates? As discussed elsewhere, lungworm infection is nasty.

Comment

If you find a poorly hedgehog and don't know who can ,you can e-mail enquiries@pricklyballfarm.co.uk where a very dedicated young man will help you.

Comment

Just wanted to say well done to all you Hedgehog rescuers.
                    They need all the help they can get.!!
                    Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

Hear Hear Seasprout and ditto from me, I'd love some hoggies for my front garden but they're probably put off by doggy barks from the orchard.
                      Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

I'd love a few hoggers in my garden too. Used to have quite a few when first moved over, but not seen any for a while. Probably 2 big dogs and tons of cats that scared them away.
                        Well done all hedgehog rescuers, I doff my coveted maroon beret in your general direction.
                        Bob Leponge
                        Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

We must have one - we have hedgehog poo! I found a moribund chap last year - very weak and totally parasitised - and that was just what could be seen on the outside. He didn't last more than a day. When they are fit and well you don't see them.
                          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Last hedgehog we had was eaten by our local foxes - or badgers.

Comment

Originally posted by Madasafish View Post
                              Last hedgehog we had was eaten by our local foxes - or badgers.
                              A fox wont really bother a hedgehog, Sadly though a Hedgehog is a Badgers Favourite food.
                              Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X