Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guess what we had in the house!

A baby grass snake! About 10" long.

My DD was really excited as she hadn't seen one close before, it was pretty cool

But you try catching a baby grass snake, which is wrigglier, that a wriggly, wriggly thing. I wasn't sure if even at that size it could have bitten me and it was so quick, catching it behind the head didn't seem a clever idea.
    I got it on a book in the end and it quietened down while I took it outside to some long grass, thankgod the cat was absent at that moment.
    "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Lucky you!
    Did you catch it in a pillowcase? And is the cat under house arrest now?
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I got it on a book and for some reason it just sat there I did say that TS
      The cat lives outside most of the year, so keeping it inside isn't an option.

I saw another baby grass snake last week in my next door neighbours garden (was a different one), so we must have had a nest round here I presume.

Still never seen an adder though.
      Last edited by womble; 25-08-2009, 03:12 PM.
      "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

Originally posted by womble View Post
        I got in on a book and for some reason it just sat there I did say that TS
        The cat lives outside most of the year, so keeping it inside isn't an option.

I saw another baby grass snake last week in my next door neighbours garden (was a different one), so we must have had a nest round here I presume.

Still never seen an adder though.
        You're a bit damp for adders in your area,try Thetford area on the heathland.

Comment

I'd have been out of the house faster than a fast thing.

Comment

Slither , Slither

We don't see many snakes here in Ireland, not since St. Patrick kindly banished them , you might have heard.
            I did see one like that outside Rome once. It slid over the wheel and into the buisness end of the V.W. van we were travelling in. Though I often thought about it, I didn't see it since.
            The scariest thing I have observed of late is the lack of bee activity .......

Comment

Have you or your neighbours got a pond as they like to be near water and do swim

Comment

We disturbed some eggs last August - in the compost. They were covered up within 15 mins and were moving inside their shell- but I think that was too much exposure- and none of them hatched. Sort of sad- and sort of relieved!

Interesting find though!!!
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Wot - No pictures!!!?
                  All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                  Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

This reminds me of a snake I saw near Bolton a while back. We were (I'm ashamed to admit) in a McDonalds car park when a guy who looked a bit odd said "do you want to see a snake?".

It turned out he wasn't being a nutcase though - it was on the ground between a bin and some bushes.

It was either a milk snake or a coral snake and had probably escaped from someone keeping it as a pet. I wasn't on the ball that day or I'd have called someone to come and get it. I did think it seemed a bit wrong for an exotic snake to be out and about in the UK but there was no way I was about to put my hand close enough to get a reminder of the "red next to black... red next to yellow" rhyme that I'd forgotten.

Other than that rather unexpected sighting in a Bolton car park, I've never seen a snake in the wild in the UK. I'd like to though.
                    Last edited by organic; 24-03-2010, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X