Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bee project

Hi all,

I am embarking on a long term project to start keeping honey bees. I am fortunate enough to have an orchard about 1 acre in size attached to the house and have been collecting cuttings of lavender for the past few weeks along with growing plants from seed. These will all be planted out a little later. I am booked onto our local beekeepers course in February and would hope to get my first colony of bees some time in June/July next year. My question however is for any experienced beekeepers - Have any of you seen/bought the beehive (beehaus) that www.omlet.co.uk are selling.? I know their chicken houses are very practicle but what about these hives. I like the idea of 2 hives in one and would think the plastic very practicle especially in winter. Anyway, any advice greatfully received.

Hi there!

Good luck with the new venture, we started beekeeping this year, and now have 3 hives in the apiary on our allotment! Beekeeping is a very interesting hobby, tho not cheap to start with!

There is another thread about the beehaus on the vine, is you do a search you should be able to find it!

The Beehaus looks great, but is way too expensive for us! Setting up our apiary, along with all the tools n bee suits plus the 3 hives, foundation and frames, stands etc, plus a rotary honey extractor has cost the best part of £800 between the 4 of us that have set up this apiary, and thats with the hives priced at approx £125 each! If we'd had to lay out £400+ for each beehaus style hive, then we'd never have been able to afford to start! The price for a nucleus of bees does vary, if you are ortunate you may be able to get a nucleus from a local beekeeper for a reasonable price, if not then commercially they can cost up to £200 per nucleus!

We're not expecting to harvest any honey this year, and with another apiary to build and equip on our other plot (with associated layout for 4 hives plus fencing etc) we know we wont be breaking even for a few years on our outlay, but as our reasons for starting beekeeping are not financial, then that doesnt matter to us too much!
    Blessings
    Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
    Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
    Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
    On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

this one? http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...let_37554.html
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Hi
        I agree with Mrs D. The beehaus is very expensive compared to nationals - you can buy three wooden hives and most of the kit for the same price. Once you have one hive, you get hooked and want more. So at 450 at touch it's becomes a very expensive hobby. Also what do you do about swarm control, if you want to make new queens etc. We have three working hives and basically another three full sets, for running double brood, honey stores (supers). ......
        I'm sure over the next few months reports will come out on how good the Beehaus really is so I'd wait until after you start your bee course to decide.

Comment

Thanks for your comments. Appreciated.

I originally thought, and still might, go with a WBC hive from Thornes as:

a) They look nicer than a "boxey" national.
          b) Their made of cedar so should last.
          c) The local society get discount from Thornes which is passed onto their members.
          d) Although more work with a WBC I like the idea of painting the outside to a traditional colour.

However, i was looking at pricing and 2x WBC's would cost me the best part of £400 + suits, tools etc so with the Beehaus being convertable into 2 hives it does come back closer in value to a traditional hive.

I do however also take on board MrsD's comment in the previous thread regarding cleaning and especially sterilisation.

Still, no rush hey.......

Comment

I would wait a few years to see if they are any good...or have problems.
            My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

Sounds like a brilliant project.

I think I'd like to keep bees. Is there a bee keeping starter thread anywhere? Or even a bee section?

I prefer the look of traditional hives.

Top bar hives are interesting. I was tempted, but apparently as they build the frame each time, you end up with more wax and less honey. Anybody on here have top bar hives?

Comment

Not got Top Bar hives, but have looked into them, its just the fact that the bees have to spend energy rebuilding the comb every time you harvest that puts us off at the moment!

If you're interested in keeping bees, then take a look at the BBKA website, they run courses and act as a point of contact in most areas! (You can also see a bit about what progress we've made with our bees on our blog if you would like to take a look!)
                Blessings
                Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
                Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
                Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
                On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

ah .....Beehaus!
                  I have a little story about this.....
                  Had a bad/sad year with life and as bad with my lovely bees, Had to spend a few weeks away from my girls in the spring (lovely Father in Law sadly died) got back only to find my girls had swarmed - worse- they chased one of our more mature plot holders from his plot ("killer swarm as big as two houses, all traffic in village stopped they were all terrified") I was shocked and so upset at this report. The swarm was not so big and did not chase him at all according to others. He confronted me with either they go or I go .....or I can kill them all in 2 minutes flat he is local pest controller so I took his words very much to heart. Tried to explain about Dad he just said people die. It went to committee vote and the bees got to stay. But I felt awful - I fully understand that not every one likes bees. It had knocked the stuffing out of me, I nearly gave up bees and plot. Did not want to go over there, did not even want to go out, but had to check the girls weekly. I was so upset that my hobby had offended someone.
                  Alas on one of my checks my girls were sitting in one of my small fruit trees! a lovely sized swarm - Atilla the 2nd! oh no not again- my heart sank to bottom of my shoes. Cant do this anymore were my thoughts.
                  Called my bee mentor and asked for advice. He said he knew of a couple of guys doing an experimental bee project and they would very much like my swarm.
                  Over the guys came and collected Attila and her workers (the swarm). They were great guys and we had a lovely chat over tea and biscuits in the kitchen. All things bees related- I am not alone with troublesome girls, it happens to us all. They gave me the will to carry on, simple as that. It was so good to talk to other bee keepers and share stories good and not so good.
                  The rest is Beehaus!
                  Yes, the guys are Omlet and Attila is living in a white Beehaus as part of the project and thriving!

I still have my girls, Attila 3rd and Boadicea 1st - two hives. I still feel very upset about the trouble caused, but all other plot holders want the girls to stay.
                  Slowly finding my way back.
                  The thanks goes to the Omlet guys for the humorous chat in my kitchen that evening whilst waiting for the last bees in the swarm to get go in the box - thanks guys

Only just seen this post as we have been on camping hols, just had to check with the guys that it was ok to tell my little story now that all is out in the open and the 'secret project is the 'Beehaus'
                  Last edited by Headfry; 12-08-2009, 08:05 AM.

Comment

Thanks. Just had a read of your blog. Very interesting.

Comment

Wow. Do you get a free hive or 2?

Comment

BFG, hi
                        The guys did ask if I would test one of their 'special projects' sadly I had to say no as I am on an allotment site I thought it best not to experiment with something new, it's been hard enough keeping them in the box as it is
                        Very kindly we have been invited over to see the Beehaus in use, might even get to see my old swarm- you never know.

My two hives are both Nationals - easy to use. I have had WBC's in the distant past, beautiful yes but a bit more work, as they look so good I thought that the temptation for them to 'walk' may be great. They can be seen from miles away if you are looking. At least Nationals just look like a pile of wooden boxes! and blend into the back ground somewhat.

I am also interested in the Top Bar hives, would love to see one in action as it were.

Went into my bees last night - all is well, No queen cells, lets hope that's it for this year- a huge sigh of relief, but....my girls have not read the books on bee keeping and never follow the general trend of what they should be doing and when they should be doing it!!!.
                        I caught my new queen and managed to put a small green dot on Attila 3rd - it went so much better than the last time I did this job (green all over the hive!). I checked the marker pen out first on a piece of paper.
                        I might even get more honey from them this year!
                        Only saw 2 drones (male bees) so they seem to have started to get rid of them early this year?
                        Drones do not over winter in the hive, they are 'kicked out' in the autumn and die, this time last year there were many drones with many still to emerge- another odd year? 'Fresh drones will be made' in the spring.
                        Last edited by Headfry; 12-08-2009, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X