Help. Need advice on bee removal!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help. Need advice on bee removal!

Hi I'm hoping there are some knowledgeable grapes out there who can help me on this one.
    We have just discovered a bees nest in the missdle of our garden.
    We were doing some tidying and my OH moved a pile of sticks to the back where we have something of a wildlife area, only to discover that there is a colony of, we think, bumble bees (small orangy ones) living in some old twigs and straw underneath.
    Obviously this is not and ideal location for them or us as we have children playing and it's at the edge of the lawn.
    Does anyone know wjo we need to contact to have them moved to an appropriate location?
    Thanks for any advice.

No need to panic. Drone Bumbles don't sting, and Bumbles don't swarm. The nest will naturally die with the first frost, and you can then safely remove it. http://hercules.users.netlink.co.uk/Bee.html
    Last edited by Two_Sheds; 09-08-2009, 03:04 PM.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thank you so much Two Sheds. You have massively reassured me. I will see if I can find a way of protecting it from footballs.

Comment

worker bummbles rarely sting either only as an absolute last resort my 11 year old regulary handles them as do i

Comment

My daughter has exactly the same problem, having just moved into a new home and started clearing the garden. Found a bee nest and panicked as she has four young children. However, after I'd said they were probably bumble bees and relatively harmless, she contacted the council and their recommended pest control people who said exactly the same as me!!!! Leave them alone, they will vacate the nest around October / November and you can then clear the area. Bumble bees are not aggressive, so unless you disturb the nest you are unlikely to get stung. As for footballs, try telling the children to kick the balls the other way?????

Comment

Lucky you!

Bumbles are pretty harmless. As they don't store honey, they haven't had the need to evolve their sting or defenisveness. They either can't sting or it's harmless if they do. And you'd need to be seriously threatening them for them to try.

The kids will probably be fascinated.

You should feel complimented. They obviously think your garden's worth setting up home in. I'm been trying to get some for ages.

They pollinate your fruit/veg for you too.

Comment

I do feel very privileged that they chose our garden, and they have been working hard pollinating for me
              The nest was somewhat disturbed and they spent the next couple of hours rebuilding it which was fascinating to watch.
              We have a section we leave pretty wild at the back of our garden, with mature trees and brush as well as plenty of fern, nettles etc. Just wish they'd chosen somewhere in there as they are very vulnerable where they currently are.
              They had found some twigs and straw under the trampoline cover which had been abandoned at the side of the lawn/path for some time. Suppose it serves me right for not sorting it out sooner.
              In theory the football shouldn't go there, in practise my son's aim is not always great.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X