Suckering Blackthorn help please

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suckering Blackthorn help please

I planted a mixed native hedge, about 3 or 4 years ago, for the benefit of wildlife. It's looking really good and quite dense and consists of Holly, Blackthorn, Dog Rose, Field Maple, Hazel, Beech and Black Elder in the back garden. Front garden is a mixture of Hawthorn, Blackthorn, Beech and Copper Beech.

The problem with it is the Blackthorn is throwing out suckers everywhere I just remove a few and within a week they are back again and more of them. Most of the time the suckers are easy to get at but I think they might become a real problem if they start coming up in my veg patch. I was also planning on putting some shrubs in my front garden in front of the hedge so the Blackthorn suckers are going to be a problem there. I fear that I might need to remove the Blackthorn all together but I really don't want to do that. Is there any sort of physical barrier that I can use to stop the Blackthorn spreading everywhere?

Is it just suckers or are sloes seeding around? We've got half a field of blackthorn, bramble and gorse for a garden in France!...not easy to clear but they do seem to eventually form trees rather than lots of suckers.

Usually with bamboo etc. you cut a dustbin or similar in half and sink the top 1/2 into the ground. Suckering normally happens near the surface more than from deep roots.

Comment

Thankyou for your reply Paulottie

It's definately suckers, my Blackthorn hasn't fruited yet (I cut it back too often for that to happen ) It's all coming from roots near the surface and usually about 2-3 feet away from the main stem but yesterday I found one coming up about 6 feet (2 metres) away from the main stem on one that hasn't suckered before, it was attatched to a root that was 1/2 inch thick (1cm).

I take it that you mean plastic dustbins? Do you think a course of bricks or large slabs sunk vertically into the ground would work? I'm trying to think of something that wouldn't be too expensive to do as plastic dustbins are around £15 here, although a course of bricks or large slabs would soon add up but I can spread the cost a lot easier. Would plain old weed suppressing fabric work?

Comment

I saw some special thick vertical style membrane for sale for this job last night but site was in USA. I guess it must be available here....don't know if it would be a buget option. Dustbins were two a penny around here when everyone went over to wheelie bins...I saved loads up for the allotments.

Anysort of barrier will surely help!! but it must be thick enough to last....but it'll probably find its way through the gaps in slabs, bricks etc.

Comment

Thankyou very much for all your help Paulottie You've given me a few ideas to try out.

Comment

if a dustbin works,but to expensive,can you get hold of any free barrels,and cut them down,try a search of any industrial estates,if you have any within reasonable distance,and transport
            sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X