Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wildlife Grass ??

Hello all

I have a small area of garden (4 ft x 3 ft) which is home to a Pyracanthus only.

I would like to cover the soil around its base with a seed that will produce an attractive evergreen grass that is an attractact or at least be beneficial to wildlife.

I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

Lee

Hi Lee.Storer'
    Welcome to the vine, i'm not sure what grass you could plant, but have you thought about a packet of wild flowers...beautiful flowers that self seed year after year guaranteed to fetch wildlife into your garden...value for money i say .

Comment

pyracantha is terrific for wildlife, esp. birds.

any long grass is terrific for slugs ... which are food for frogs and hedgehogs

what are the conditions you have? south facing? dry soil? shade?
      Last edited by Two_Sheds; 13-07-2009, 07:00 AM.
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Hello Ginger Ninger
        I have tried wildflowers in this and a larger area this year, but it just hasnt worked as i hoped. If i remember correctly i have emptied 4 or 5 packets in the area and not a great amount has grown, and i am certain it will be desolate for winter. My plan for the larger area for next year is now shingle to locate my various potted perenials.

Hello Two Sheds
        I live in Lancashire so it gets pretty wet and damp, exacerbated by clay about 2 foot down. Major problem with slugs and snails. Thats why i am thinking of a nice hardy grass that may flower or look nice.

Lee

Comment

Festuca glauca is a blue fescue that would certainly look well with the pyracantha! It self seeds very easily if allowed to flower.

Google it and see what you think!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I don't think there's a specific grass I'd call a "wildlife" grass. Yoy can go into the countryside and look at patches of meadow and you'll find they have about 20 different grasses in. If you see one you like, collect a few seeds and sow into pots a few at a time. I like Crested Dog's Tail and Timothy Grass particularly. Oh and Sweet Vernal Grass.

As to wild flowers, I'd never just sprinkle the seeds out - you'll get too much competition from weeds. I sow into modules, a small pinch at a time and then plant out when they've got going. We've done this in our local church yard to good effect.
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

That blue is powerful Snadger - fantastic but a bit bold for my environment. Some of the more suptle Festuca's are appealing.

Thats a really good idea Flummery - thanks. At least that way i will be using local grasses that shoudl survive the local elements.

lee

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X