A sad day

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A sad day

I know its my fault. I put a bird box on the fence above the pond,( I netted the pond so the fledglings wouldn't fall in-) not really thinking a bird would choose to nest in it - but it looked pretty. Well, 2 blue tits have been raising their chicks the past 3 weeks and very entertaining they have been, and busy. Problem is, the chicks noise alerted the local cats and they have been trying to get to the box for a while - one must of sat on it and pulled it off hook(i know which cat, he is very overweight) and I found box in pond with 6 drowned babies. Made me cry and feel guilty.

oh dear.
    Can you re-site the box somewhere more suitable? They're meant to be at least 5 foot off the ground ...
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Oh no...

For next year, could you attach it more securely and then put up anti-cat spikes on the fence around it (or cover the fence top with sprigs of holly?)?
      http://www.weeveggiepatch.blogspot.com

Comment

Yup that is sad. Think I would have cried too.
        Agree with both the above.
        Bob Leponge
        Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

That is sad Petal but you now know for next year. What a shame. Try not to blame yourself. These things happen.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I know how you feel i had a bird make a nest in tree watched it for days, went down to tidy up the area around it and bird flew off it never came back i dont know if a cat got it or i scared it away but there was eggs in nest.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X