Frog in my garden

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frog in my garden

I got such a shock last night as I was cutting some lettuce for dinner. At first I thought it was a huge slug (I have slug phobia), then I thought it was a rotten stump (of what), and then it dawned on me that it was a huge frog (size of my palm).

I have no idea how it got into my garden. I live in a new build area where they are still constructing houses left, right and centre. I have no pond, or any standing water... My theory was that it rained down into the garden in the storm yesterday morning.

Anyway, I'm a little worried for it, as I don't have a pond... would I need to provide anything to encourage it to stay or at least make its stay more comfortable? Because I have a tiny patch, it's densely covered so I guess it's kinda damp in there when it rains, but what about when it gets a bit warmer?

Sorry, so many questions.... you've probably guessed I've never seen a frog in a domestic garden before...
    http://www.weeveggiepatch.blogspot.com

If it was that big it could have been a toad. They don't live in ponds but like damp dark places. Just like you find under lettuce. Toads wat slugs so encourage it to stau if you can.
    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

It will be fine, just leave it be and it will eat your slugs and then either stay if it likes it there or go if it runs out of food.

Comment

Frogs and Toads only seek out ponds to breed in, once that's done they move away from ponds because areas of water attract predators.

They spend the rest of the year in damp areas such as under things and in long grass.

Whenever it rains in my garden suddenly the lawn is frog motorway, and I dont have a pond. (yet).

Well done for having an amphibian.
        Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

I've never had a pond, but always had frogs on the lotty (they like areas of long damp grass to hide in, and piles of logs ... so do slugs)
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Hope this works - never attached anything before....

Frog or toad? I've checked pics online and it doesnt look like a toad. It hopped away quite quickly too and didn't 'crawl'... but it's quite big...
            Attached Files

Comment

I had a frog turn up and live with me for a while last year Wee Garden.
              He liked to sit in a tray of water I had put out to water plants standing in pots waiting for planting.
              I found another one yesterday when I was weeding around some shrubs - don't know where he's hiding now.
              But here's last years guy.
              Attached Files

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

WeeGarden ... that is a common frog
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks

I don't think it's around any more cos it's been so hot and dry, but I've left a dish of water under my courgette in case it decides to visit me again.

Comment

Its a frog.

Whilst out watering my garden tonight I saw a frog having a dip in the bird bath.
                    Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

I spotted a teeny tiny frog this morning while I was fishing the pond weed out the pond, it was only the size on my thumb nail but it still made me jump.
                      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I don't see any on my plot, but my little pond has at least one living there. Because it makes me jump everytime I go near the pond, tonight when I watering the bed next to it, I heard a big splash as he dived in. Shy little thing, but hopefully he'll be out eating slugs tonight.

Comment

We went out for a walk after dinner last night in the nearby lake and there were millions of them, teeny tiny ones about the size of a penny! I was so scared of stepping on them that I was tiptoe-ing all around the lake. Think my hubby got a bit embarrassed. I was soooo tempted to bring some back with me....but of course, I have no pond...

I LOVE this veggie growing malarky! Makes me feel closer to nature.
                          Last edited by WeeGarden; 29-06-2009, 10:39 PM.

Comment

We have a few toads and frogs in the garden. One hot afternoon I was amazed to see a big toad fully immersed in the deep water bowl I put out for the cats. He stayed there for ages. Birds come and bathe in it too, but the cats still prefer to drink from it rather than from the pristine water supplied inside the house!

Comment

I used to have lots of frogs like yours in my garden when I first moved in 6 or 7 years ago but they have been getting fewer each year.
                              This year I haven't seen any at all.
                              You are very lucky to have him as he will control any slug population that you have.
                              I would love to have frogs back in my garden.
                              I haven't seen any on my allotment either... but i still have a fair amount of long grass still to be cleared and the compost heap is getting pretty big now too, so if there are any they may be hiding away in these places.
                              If there are any they are not helping me get rid of the slugs under my lettuces that's for sure.

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charles Churchill : A dog will look up on you; a cat will look down on you; however, a pig will see you eye to eye and know it has found an equal

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X