Newt larvae

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newt larvae

I found lots of very baby newts in water in an upturned bin lid on my plot the other day. Well I think that's what they are! Anyone else ever seen them? They are a bit like tadpoles but with long thin bodies and even longer tails. They seem to have whitish stripes either side of their bodies. There are about 20 of them in a puddle of water about 4 ins deep. I am going to make smallish pond out of shallow china sink. Shall I move them or leave them where they are? They are in shade amongst lots of damson/sloe trees and rubbish.Can't wait to see how they've grown on Thursday.

I may be mistaken, but I always understood that newts protect their eggs by wrapping each egg in the leaf of a pond plant. I'm not sure how that would fit with the description given......
    Whatever sort of amphibian it may be, they should be fun to watch growing. I would only move them if they are in danger of losing their 'pond' (to evaporation or disturbance), or if there is nothing for them to eat (some tadpoles become cannibalistic if short of other food).
    Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

I think this should confirm your identificatiom - picture of baby newts - Google Image Search

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X