Unexpected Guests

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unexpected Guests

On Sunday, I arrived home from a weekend away and on entering the living room found some hornets had taken up residence. (I have seen a few outside this year). I openned the sliding windows and gently usherred them out but am concerned that a nest may be establishing somewhere inside.

If I do find the nest inside is there any way of moving it outdoors without upsetting the hornets and without disrupting the nest?

How did they get in as they are very large? Did you leave a window open?
    A bad days fishing is still better than a good day at work!
    There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing.

Comment

We had a wasps nest in the pipe work that leads from the steam from the ensuite to outside. I kept finding wasps in the bedroom.
      Could it be something like that?

Comment

Rana, I don't think there's any way to move a hornets nest without upsetting the hornets.
        If you do find a nornets nest indoors it's a jpb for the professionals.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I guess the original hornets got in through a window - I like to leave them open a bit for fresh air. From what I can discover it seems you can't move a hornets nest like a bees nest, so moving the nest will effectively destroy it. Unfortunately professional companies want to use poisons when removing the nest which I am not at all comfortable with.

Comment

You really will need to get rid of them Rana and as soon as possible or they will drive you out of the house, and I do mean that. You will just have to let the professionals do their job by what ever means they use.

The only other thing to do is to seal off the room and then you won't be able to use it until the Hornets have gone in about October.

I have had several nests here but they have all been outside so we have just given them a very wide berth. A Hornet sting can be very nasty but they are not as agressive as wasps and we have never been stung.
            Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Comment

Subtle, Crundy, subtle!
                All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Flame thrower now on order - lol

Comment

Dont try and do it yourself Rana. A Hornet killed or hurt within 50m of the nest sends out pheremones which trigger the rest of them to come and attack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

"Stir a hornets' nest"

Isn't that the saying?
                      A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

I found a hornets nest in the garden . . . on the branch I'd just pruned off. Made me run a bit sharpish! The hornets began buzzing round in a frenzy - one even came into the kitchen. It was HUGE - about 2 inches long. So I really, really wouldn't recommed you tackle any nest yourself!
                        Wasn't there a film years ago about killer bees - they basically trapped them all in an ice-rink & put the air-conditioning on, & the cold slowed them all down.
                        Might be an alternative to poison!
                        Last edited by Beanie; 11-06-2009, 08:30 PM.
                        Many people have eaten in my kitchen & gone on to lead normal, healthy lives.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X