OMG its Massive! May bug!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raindancer411 View Post
    I dont know what bugs they were, but when I was at my boyfriends parents helping to lay a new front path there were loads of flying black insects. They looked like rather big mozzies but were very clumsy when flying. Spent most of their time crawling on the floor. Any ideas on what they may have been?
    Sounds a bit like flying ants but didnt think it was warm enough for them yet.
    Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
    and ends with backache

Comment

Hi Jackie, no they were a LOT bigger lol... they looks like over grown mozzies yuck...
      Donna

"You need to propagate to accumulate..."

Comment

Raindancer, they are like a mozzie/gnat thing. We're getting loads of them here right now.

Janeyo, I am digging up loads of cockchafer (june bug) larvae ... they are under the grass lawn that I'm digging up. The adult lays eggs in the lawn and the grubs eat the roots.
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Yuk!!!We call them Billywitches down here...really horrible things!!!(if I've got the right bug anyway?)
          Thankfully the ones that venture into our garden tend to stay around a large tree right at the bottom of our neighbours...but just knowing they're there is enough to make my skin crawl...like TS's says,they get all in your hair...horrible things!!!
          Do they have any uses???
          the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Hi Raindancer, are they perhaps mayflies?I've not seen them in this part of the world but I've seen them at my daughter's near Malmesbury, I didn't know what they were. But your description of like large gnats seems to fit, they tend to 'bounce' up and down when they are flying, quite harmless but still make me feel itchy!

Comment

As well as cockchafers, the term 'Billywitch' can be applied to stagbeetles.
              Check out this link for their gross grubs. Yuck!

Gardener's Larva Guide
              A good beginning is half the work.
              Praise the young and they will make progress.

Comment

Thanks for that link Sweetiepea, those larvae are absolutely gruesome looking but the beetles are really very pretty! I haven't seen any round here but then I believe chafer grubs are often found in lawns & we don't have any lawn now.
                Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X