No announcement yet.

Wasp deterrent

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Alice, are you certain they are wasps, cos at the moment it's only the queen wasps who are about looking for somewhere to make their nests, on the other hand there are a lot of hoverflies around now and some of them can look very much like wasps, but they are harmless to us and good for the plants, they eat aphids. I too am allergic to wasps so wage a constant battle though I must admit I'm not adverse to bashing the little beasties.

Comment

Im sorry, i may be inhumane, but after the sting on my eye - and then it got its sting stuck in my jacket as it tried to get my neck! - I say perish the little b@@gers! I have no sympathy for them, especially as the swelling nearly caused me to miss a modelling job the next day! Mind you, it was 18 years ago when I was 16, but then again ive never been known to hold a grudge lol!
      I would love to know what use they have, to me they just seem to be the bully of the flying insect world!
      'REMEMBER, AS FAR AS ANYONE KNOWS WE ARE A NORMAL FAMILY!'

Comment

Good things wasps do, as well as being a nuisance

Many insects preyed upon by wasps are garden pests, and in this respect wasps help to regulate pest populations, and to prevent potential damage to garden plants.

Consequently wasps are beneficial insects. They feed their young on a wide range of invertebrates which cause damage to plants and flowers, such as aphids and caterpillars.

They also visit flowers and therefore help in pollination.
        Thus, wherever possible, it is good to leave wasp’s nests undisturbed in order to encourage the natural control of pests, and to reduce the need for insecticide treatments.
        Fascinating info about wasps here, apparently they can recognise other wasps faces.
        To see a world in a grain of sand
        And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Yes I'm sure they are wasps Lottieval. As you say Queens but there are plenty of them.

The Waspinator I'm getting is just a manufactured version of the blown up paper bag Rana. Now I'm wondering if I should leave it up all the time or take it down when not required.
          I'll see what instructions come with the Waspinator.

Yes there is good info on wasps on that site SBP. Quite fascinating.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I've seen several queen wasps the week, which has reminded me of the damage they did to fruit last year. Intresting links/site, I didn't realise wasps nests could be so big!

I hate to use traps as it seems such a slow death, although I will normally swat a wasp in the house. However it makes no sense to me to kill something if I can be keep it away. Particularly if they are helping to keep other pest numbers down. So I've ordered a pack to see if they help.
            Mostly Tomato Mania Blog

Comment

Wow ordered yesterday, received today!
              Not sure if its going to work but we will see.
              Mostly Tomato Mania Blog

Comment

I've got mine. I haven't put them up yet and I haven't seen a wasp since.
                Maybe they're like the pills my husband keeps in the kitchen drawer but never takes - they do wonders for him just by being there.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Hi All, how are you getting on with your Waspinators? Are you leaving them up all the time or taking them down when you're not outside? I got one a few weeks ago and have just left it up at the back of my house next to the veggie patch. Hadn't seen any wasps since I put it up, but then noticed a couple last night in the vacinity. Think I may take it down for a couple of days.

Comment

Originally posted by gojiberry View Post
                    The problem with traps is... it may well lure bees to their death as well
                    I use wasp traps every year, and have never, ever found a bee in them. They must be too fat or too clever to go in them.
                    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

So, what were the results then?

Please be good. There seem to be an awful lot of either really good, or really rubbish reviews on the web, which makes me suspicious.

I might gamble and see what happens. I'd prefer a real empty (nest) though. That would be a strange freecycle request.

Comment

Two sheds, what do you bait them with? My wasps show no interest in the jammy water in mine.

Interesting about them liking ripe fruit. The plums they destroyed did look ripe. I guess I'll have to be more on the ball noticing in future.

I don't think the apples are ready yet though, as they're still not full size. Or do the wasps know something I don't?
                        Last edited by BFG; 16-08-2009, 11:23 PM.

Comment

We visited friends at a caravan yesterday. They already had a waspinator hanging outside but we were bothered by wasps (about 5 at a time) as soon as a beer was poured. We managed to pick out a few deunk wasps from the beer glasses and attracted some others away from us with a bowl of cola placed away from where we were sitting. I dont think the waspinator was any use!
                          BumbleB

I have raked the soil and planted the seeds
                          Now I've joined the army that fights the weeds.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X