Wild Hedgerow

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wild Hedgerow

I have started a new project on the bank of my front garden.I have planted Elderberries,Hazel,Hawthorn and Blackthorn but I want to underplant this with wild plants.Any ideas,as I was thinking Wild Garlic,Bluebells ect.
    The greatness comes not when things go always good for you,but the greatness comes when you are really tested,when you take,some knocks,some disappointments;because only if youv'e been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain.

Try Arum maculatum - commonly known as Lords and ladies or Cuckoo Pint, it has beautiful foliage and bright red berries in Autumn - it will thrive under a wild hedgerow such as you are planting. Good luck.
    http://www.robingardens.com

Seek not to know all the answers, just to understand the questions.

Comment

Isn't that poisonous?
      The greatness comes not when things go always good for you,but the greatness comes when you are really tested,when you take,some knocks,some disappointments;because only if youv'e been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain.

Comment

Yes the berries are poisonous and other parts of the plant can cause allergic reactions - but as you are planting under a hedge ... this is where they would grow naturally.

I have quite a few at home and I am not dead yet (though some may argue that point!)
        They do attract small rodents (we get wood mice) so if you like meeces get planting, if you have small kiddies maybe not a good idea, although mine were brought up with them and are still ok, now 18 and 16.
        http://www.robingardens.com

Seek not to know all the answers, just to understand the questions.

Comment

Lords-and-Ladies (the plain green one - there's a variegated version too) is rampant in my garden; be sure that you want it cos you'll never get rid of it. I found the sap made my skin very sore, so I'd advise wearing gloves when handling it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X