squirels

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• squirels

This is my first year at growing and have a pretty bare garden at the moment, even so it has a large variety of wildlife for an estate, i have 2 squirels who visit on a daily basis and, i am planning on growing sweetcorn but have heard that they are quite partial to these is there anything that may be more attractive to them that i can put in the garden to distract them or is it going to be a case of buillding a frame to go over them.

Last year I grew sweetcorn but I didn't notice the squirrels bothering with it really. I do have loads of squirrels round here and they seem to work in pairs!! If you're worried tho, I would suggest you cover with a frame.
    AKA Angie

Comment

I thought it was badgers that found sweetcorn irresistable...........................

Comment

I've grown both sweetcorn and sunflowers in the past and the squirrels in my garden has attacked both of them.

They ripped the sweetcorn apart just as the fury stuff started appearing...They didnt get anything worth eating out of it cos the cob hadnt even developed at all yet.

The sunflowers as soon as the flower came out they were attacked.

Depends how much they visit your gardent though.

Comment

Originally posted by selfraising View Post
          Last year I grew sweetcorn but I didn't notice the squirrels bothering with it really. I do have loads of squirrels round here and they seem to work in pairs!! If you're worried tho, I would suggest you cover with a frame.
          Ah, I wondered why there is always a second squiller lurking furtively in the background: the getaway driver

Comment

Archerellie, in my last garden I had squirrels and they didn't touch the sweetcorn - but they did pull the flowers off the yellow roses.
            Here I have sparrows who won't leave the peas, sweetpeas, crab apple, budddlea, wigelia alone. They rip the leaves off. Nobody else seems to have the problem.
            Maybe you'll be lucky and your squirrels won't be interested in the sweetcorn - but watch out for the little nuisance sparrows.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Hi Archerellie

I have a real problem with squirrels. I have anything up to 10 squirrels at a time in my garden. We have very mature trees at the rear of our garden and there are at least 3 nests there. I have resorted to barracading/fencing most of my plants. When I went on holiday last year I came back to broken and torn sweetcorn and sunflower plants. The sunflowers had no heads on them. I even had to place holly stems in any containers as they are always looking for buried nuts and they literally dig up the plants and bulbs.

Do not trust any grey fluffy tailed intruder in your garden protect, protect, protect. Good luck!

Comment

Next door have a huge walnut tree in their garden, and the squirrels love it....I was busy planting the other day and I noticed a weed or two growing in my garlic pots....they were two walnut seedlings! The little wotsits had planted their stash of nuts in amongst my garlic!

Good tips above, I think I'll be covering my sweetcorn just in case!
                My mind works like lightning, One brilliant flash and it is gone!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X