Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have I got leeches in my pond?

Hi
    took the pond pump out yesterday to clean and underneath were flat worm coloured creatures. Are these leeches and if so, how do I get rid of them?

Yuk
    AKA Angie

Could do with a picture,how big were they and how many?

Comment

Originally posted by burnie View Post
      Could do with a picture,how big were they and how many?
      Yes I should have taken a piccie but I flicked it away. I only found the one on the bottom of the pump, it was quite flat and about an inch long and a pale pinky colour. However, last year I found some bigger ones. I'm a bit concerned because I have fish, although they didn't seem to be troubled by them last year. One of my friends suggested it might be a flat worm.
      AKA Angie

Comment

Have a look here and see if you can identify your flat worm, which may or may not be a leech.

Leeches
        Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Phew thanks Capsid, doesn't look like those horrible leeches, must be some kind of worm. I'm so relieved cos I've heard leeches can attach themselves to fish. Thanks very much!
          AKA Angie

Comment

I had a pond with leeches and goldfish in it, they seemed to cohabit OK.
            Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Originally posted by Capsid View Post
              I had a pond with leeches and goldfish in it, they seemed to cohabit OK.
              Well even better. Didn't fancy putting my hand in the pond tho when I thought they were leeches
              AKA Angie

Comment

Flatworms are very destructive and feed on garden worms by lying beside them and exuding a slime which absorbs them! Yuk!!!
                New Zealand flatworms used to be notifyable but I don't think they are now? Orrible things!
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                  Flatworms are very destructive and feed on garden worms by lying beside them and exuding a slime which absorbs them! Yuk!!!
                  New Zealand flatworms used to be notifyable but I don't think they are now? Orrible things!
                  double yuk, at this rate I'll have to put a barrier round the pond to stop them getting out!

They don't seem to have a NZ accent but they could be illegal immigrants
                  AKA Angie

Comment

Originally posted by selfraising View Post
                    double yuk, at this rate I'll have to put a barrier round the pond to stop them getting out!

They don't seem to have a NZ accent but they could be illegal immigrants
                    Next time I pop round should I wear wellies?
                    WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Originally posted by FionaH View Post
                      Next time I pop round should I wear wellies?
                      Why stop at wellies, a full wet suit at the very least
                      AKA Angie

Comment

Want to borrow my pond gloves - they come up to the shoulders! Just the thing for when I find time to get into pond-cleaning mode.

Comment

I'd be suprised if any established pond hasn't got leeches. They are part of the natural fauna.

Comment

The native species of leeches I try to encourage when doing wildlife ponds on conservation projects are vital to the pond ecosystem, like the watersnails they eat all the organic debris, minute algal growths etc, help keep the water clean.
                            There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

Originally posted by snohare View Post
                              The native species of leeches I try to encourage when doing wildlife ponds on conservation projects are vital to the pond ecosystem, like the watersnails they eat all the organic debris, minute algal growths etc, help keep the water clean.
                              Thankyou Snohare, I never knew that. So basically if what I've got in my pond do turn out to be leeches, I should leave them in there
                              AKA Angie

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X