Attracting Owls to garden

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attracting Owls to garden

I've noticed a tawny owl close by and his always having a good chat. I'm wondering if I could buy an owl house and place it up a tree in my garden. The only problem I can think of is that I have dogs so I'd imagine they wouldn't be too keen on being around barking dogs. Any ideas?
    Follow my garden and chilli growing project... @impatientgrower

It’s lovely to hear them isn’t it?
    We have at least two around our house. I heard them a couple of nights ago…male and female

As far as I am aware they sleep on the branches, close to a trunk, and only using the nesting box for bringing up their young.
    It’s possibly too late this year for them to find your box , but by next year it will be well seasoned. You never know…it may be perfect for those starting late for some reason…. just make sure it’s situated at the ideal height and direction.

I honestly don’t think they’d be bothered by dogs. They fly mostly from dusk onwards by which time I imagine your dogs would be indoors?
    They will already have a night roost on a branch somewhere quiet.
    Have a bit of agoooogle to see the best place to locate the box .
    No harm in putting one up…if it doesn’t work out this year,then maybe next year this years youngsters will spot it.

Do share piccies if you take them. Good luck!
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I've got some spare pieces of wood so thought I'd build one instead. Even if they don't use it this year, at least it will be up. I'll maybe look at other ways to attract them as another reason for having them around to photograph them. Tbc!

Comment

Brill…good for you!…I’m so pleased to hear about anyone trying to support these beautiful birds.
        Do let us know if you manage to attract them .
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Thanks, Nicos. I rarely hear about anyone saying they're setting owl houses in their garden etc. As well as photography, I also do field recordings of nature so it will be perfect if they happen to visit the garden.

I got some good tips from the Barn Owl Trust (?). Thanks!

Comment

We get plenty of owls hooting to each other - they drive our dogs crazy but the owls are not bothered by the barking. We are tho!
            and we often hear owls in the daytime - we live in Chiltern foothills and it is densely wooded. It always sounds strange to hear them in the daytime.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X