Siting a sparrow "terrace" box

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Siting a sparrow "terrace" box

We've had our roof replaced and due to the crazy construction of our cottage there were big areas of the roof space that we're only accessible with the tiles off.

Lots of insulation added and lots of sparow nests (empty) cleared out.

We now have sparrows giving us evils because their access is blocked.

We plan to put up some RSPB three-nest boxes but the scaffolding is gone now so we won't be able to get them right up under the guttering.

Question: is halfway up the wall, say 3m, high enough?
    ​​​​​
    Last edited by quanglewangle; 20-11-2021, 07:45 PM.
    I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

It's certainly plenty high enough. The question is whether it's sheltered enough. The sparrows might feel too exposed halfway up an open wall like that.

Comment

This is what the RSPCA recommend…

”Ideally, it will be under the eaves of your house or high on a wall. Make sure you permission before attaching a box.

The box will need to be at least 3m (10 feet) from the ground, facing north or east to avoid it getting too hot or wet. Avoid placing it in direct sunlight and don't put it over a doorway or well-used path.”

from….https://www.rspb.org.uk/get-involved...parrow-street/

I love point 6 …” Be sure to check the box is the right way up!“

Good to hear you are concerned to replace their nests Q.
      It’s quite shocking to hear of the dramatic decline in numbers of sparrows. As a toddler most of the birds I recall flying around were sparrows - they seemed to be the dominant bird species.

Maybe bird boxes could be a default Xmas pressie this year?
      Is this the one you’ve bought?
      https://shopping.rspb.org.uk/bird-fe...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

They do an amazing selection of boxes for all sorts of birds!

https://shopping.rspb.org.uk/bird-fe...es-nest-boxes/

Last edited by Nicos; 21-11-2021, 02:17 AM.
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Probably worth a try 3m up on the wall then. That's only a metre short of the facia where the entrance to their previous home was. My ladder won't get me any higher - well, not while using two hands on the drill to get into granite!

We aren't short of sparows, actually. We must have had three families under the roof last summer.

I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

My mind runs along the line of bodges in a situation like this. For example accessing the attic space and pushing a loop of wire out under the guttering into which a loop a length of batten already screwed to a nest box, could be finagled from below with a long pole,

If you would like me to think up more crazy schemes which do not involve borrowing a bit of tower scaffolding for half a day from a friendly builder, then having a photo to work from would no doubt prompt another brainwave or two.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
            Good to hear you are concerned to replace their nests Q.
            It’s quite shocking to hear of the dramatic decline in numbers of sparrows. As a toddler most of the birds I recall flying around were sparrows - they seemed to be the dominant bird species.
            I think it must depend on the area, because they're still very much the dominant bird species where I am. There are several dozen within 10-15 metres of my house alone. Make a terrific racket, they do. Sit on the guttering outside my bedroom window by the dozen and wake me up at 5am in the summer with their tuneless squawking...

Comment

Originally posted by nickdub View Post
              My mind runs along the line of bodges in a situation like this.
              Certainly my mind tends towards a bodge but I have to contend with Mrs quanglewangle's high standards and my own awkwardness and lack of DIY skills.
              Probably resort to getting an aerial erector to do it, if they still exist in the age of streaming.

Comment

Originally posted by quanglewangle View Post
                Certainly my mind tends towards a bodge but I have to contend with Mrs quanglewangle's high standards and my own awkwardness and lack of DIY skills.
                Probably resort to getting an aerial erector to do it, if they still exist in the age of streaming.
                You are not the only one. My wife is against bodges too, I can't imagine why :-)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X